Chapter 9

I woke up when I heard mama scream! The next thing I know, there is a loud bang! We got hit! I started to cry! Papa was next to me, but he wasn't talking. "PAPA!!! PAPA??? PAPA WAKE UP!" Next thing i know papa woke up! He was a little confused, but he rubbed my hand. "Its ok baby, papa is ok! Now lets check on mama and daddy. Paulie, Linds, are you guys ok?" "Im ok, but my arm hurts really bad. Paulie, are you ok?" "Yea im ok, my leg is hurting really bad, what about you sam? Are you ok babe?" "Yea im ok, but im trapped. Abby seems to be ok too just scared." "Mama! Dada! Papa! Me scared!!! Me thought we was gonna to die." Papa rubbed my hand that he was still holding. "Its ok baby, we got you." "As soon as i can baby girl mama will give you boobies. I know your scared." Just then a stranger came up to the window of the car by papa. I could hear sirens coming. "Hey are you guys ok? We saw the whole thing." "Yea i think we are alright. Our baby is a bit shook up, my husband's leg hurts and my wifes arm hurts, Im trapped, but we are ok for the most part." Next thing i know there are police men and fire fighters and people everywhere.

An EMT came over to my window. "Hi there, Im Savannah, Im here to help you. Can you tell me your name?" I looked over at papa who was talking to another EMT. "Its ok sweetie, you can talk to me." "My name is Abby." "Ok Abby, can you tell me how old you are?" "Um I'm 9, but my big people treat me littler because I like it." "Ok sweetie, can you tell me if you feel any pain?" "my legs hurt really bad." I was still crying. Papa was still rubbing my hand. "Miss Savannah, I really want my binki, but i think papa cant get it. Can you give it to me?" "Where is it sweetie? Do you know?" "I not know." I started to cry harder. I was scared. I needed my big peoples. "Alright Abby, Im going to walk back to the ambulance and see if we have a pacifier for you ok? Can you stay awake for me?" "Yes i can do that. Mama! Mama me need you!" "I know baby! Its ok! We are all alright baby. Mama will give you boobies as soon as she can ok baby?" "Mommy my legs hurts bad!" Mama could tell i was hurting. She started to cry too. Daddy held her hand. "Hey princess, how about you think of the pool at home? You like when one of us hold you right baby?" "Yes daddy me wikes dat." "Alright baby, think of the warm water, and snuggling with all of us, and drinking mamas boobie milkies." Daddy was right this was helping me feel a little better. Miss Savannah came back a minute later. She had a binki and a teddy with her. "Here you go sweetie. This bear can keep you company for a little bit while we get you all out of here." She helped pop the binki in my mouth and handed me the bear. It made me feel a little better.

The fire fighters got mama and daddy out of the car. Then they got me out. I didnt wanna leave papa though, but I had to so they could get him out. When i got out my legs hurt so bad! I started screaming again! They put me in the same ambulance with mama. "MOMMY!!!!! It hurts mama" "I know pumpkin, mamas right here! Daddy and papa will be right behind us! We are all going to be ok baby. Shhhhhh mamas here." I felt a little better knowing that we were all safe.

When we got to the hospital, they put mama and me in rooms right next to eachother. Mama was ok, excecpt she had a really bad broken arm. "Hey doc, I understand I cant do much, but my daughter is right here and I know all she wants is to comfort nurse. Would it be ok if I laid with her so she can nurse? I think it would do us both some good." "Oh i didnt even notice that ma'am, by all means go nurse your little one." Mama came over to where i was. "Mommy! They gived me medicine now it not hurt so bad. Me has boobies mama?" "Yes baby you can have boobies." I latched on and the tears just flowed. I was safe. Mama was safe. But how is dada and papa?

A couple minutes later a doctor came in to talk to us. "Ma'am Im here to talk to you about your husbands., Would you care to step outside?" "Im ok here, she can hear whats going on. She is just as scared as I am." "Alright then, your husband Sam was trapped in the car for about 20 minutes. They brought him in and he is currently in CT. He currently can not feel his legs. Your other husband Paul is fine. He broke his femur bone and needs to be admitted to have surgery, but other than that he is ok. You can see him when your ready." "What about my daughter? We havent heard anything on her yet ether." "Oh im so sorry I thought someone came in. She broke both of her legs at the knee, just from the way she was sitting in the car seat. However that seems to be her only injury. She will definitely need surgery too, but Im hoping you can all be home in a week." "thank you doctor. Can we go over to paul or can he be brought here? I think Abby needs to see that her daddy is safe." "Absolutely, I will have a nurse bring him over. He was saying the same thing."

A few minutes later they brought daddy in a wheel chair over to where me and mama were. Mama got up and kissed daddy. Then she scooted daddy over to me. He gave me lots of kisses. "Im ok baby. See just a broken leg like you. I promise, we are all ok." He hugged me as best as he could. Mama just stood there looking at both of us. We were all really worried about papa. Next thing i know a doctor came in again. "Are you the family of Samuel Richmend?" "Yes thats us." "Sam is out of cat scan. He is still having some trouble feeling his legs, but the CT was clear. So we are just going to keep a close eye on him." "When can we see him? Especially our daughter. She needs to see that papa is ok too." As soon as we have a room ready, we can take all of you up there. Lindsey isnt it? "Yes thats me." "You have officially been discharged, however your daughter is being admitted on peds. So you are welcome to stay with her there. Your husbands will share a room together too." "Thank you doctor."

The doctor left the room and mama broke down. Daddy held onto her as best as he could. I started to cry seeing mama cry. "Mommy what wrong?" "Im ok baby, im just happy we are all safe. That could have been a much worse outcome." "Mama me miss papa." "We will be able to see papa very soon pumpkin. Shhhhhh mamas here. And so is daddy. We got you baby." "Mama, my butt itchy." With all of the commotion, we didnt think about my diaper until just now. Mama put on the call light and asked the nurse for a size 7 diaper. They asked mama if i could wait a little longer until they got me up to the pedes floor so they could change me up there. The nurse said they would be taking me up in about 5 minutes. We decided that it would be ok.

"Mama me no want leave dada. What if me gets scared?" "Mama will be with you all night baby. If you get scared we can see if dada can come to you. Papa will have to be in a special room so you may not get to see him for a couple days." I started to cry. But mama me need papa. Me need know hims ok. Me need him!" "Hey baby, what if daddy and papa video chat to mamas phone. Would that help? Papa could even read to you. It wont be the same as being at home in the chair, but I think papa would like it. What do you think baby?" "Me wikes dat dea daddy. But me need you! Me no sweep wifout you and papa sense me been wif you! I need you dada and me need my papa." I started crying again. This time mama came over and just held me while i cried.

A few minutes later a nurse came in. "Im Brie, Im here to take you up to the pediatrics floor." "Miss Brie, me need to see papa! Me no go wif out papa!" "What is she talking about?" Brie looked confused. "My other husband Sam, he was in the accident and she hasnt seen him yet. She needs to see him to see that hes ok." "Oh we can swing by the room on our way up. He is still here in the ER, so she wont be able to stay long. But we can at least let her know hes ok." "That would be wonderful. Thank you!" "MAMA ME GET TO SEE PAPA!!" "Yes baby, you get to see your papa."

Brie took me over to the room papa was in and moved my bed right next to his. I looked at him and started to cry! "Papa!!! Papa i wuv you! Me needed to see you ok!" "Im fine baby! Look!! See papa is ok! Im just having some trouble feeling my legs baby! But im perfectly ok!" "Papa they taking me to a room and me no can see you! Me going to miss my papa." I started crying again. Papa just rubbed my head. "Baby, its ok. Papa will make sure he video chats you as much as you want baby! Mama and daddy will help with that. We are all here baby! We are all safe." I gave papa a big kiss and hug and then Brie took me up to the floor with mama.