10

"Hey guys, this is Jule," Rom said as soon as we got to their usual table

"Hey guys, this is Jule," Rom said as soon as we got to their usual table. Seven heads turned to me with seven pairs of eyes studying me. I stuck my hands into the pockets of my jeans to avoid squirming under their gaze.

"Jule, huh?" Tristan, the rumored jerk guy, said while tapping his chin with his finger. Then his face dawned with recognition. I could almost see light bulbs in his eyes. "I know you! We're in Trigonometry together!"

Oh God. Anything but Trigonometry.

"You mean the one who got scolded by Mr. Wilcox earlier for being late?" a guy with dark hair and glasses said. From the way he's wearing the Campus's jersey to lunch, I can tell that he's an athlete or something. "Damn girl, you got spunk. I hope Ms. Martinez went easy on you."

I gestured to Rom if I could sit down. The two girls scooted over and I took a place beside a girl that had black tips showing from her blond-dyed hair. "Oh, about that," I said, trying to eat through the shame bubbling in my throat. "I didn't even go."

The boys howled. From a couple of tables ahead, I saw Nicola and Porter staring at me with a confused look on their faces. Then, they realized what I've done and their expressions were replaced with a betrayed look. I smiled subtly and spread out my hands in an act of surrender. Perhaps they could flay me alive later, if they could catch me.

"Hey, I like you already," a guy with curly, red hair said, slapping his seatmate's shoulder. The boy with a ton of thick textbooks stacked on his part of the table simply shrugged and shoved a forkful of soggy pasta into his mouth.

"Euge, chill," the girl between a guy scribbling in a notebook and the girl beside me, said. "She doesn't even know our names."

Rom slapped his forehead. "Oh, how could I forget," he said, chuckling nervously. "Jule, these are my friends. The one in Trigonometry with you is Tristan. He manages an animal shelter not far from here."

Aww. He takes care of animals. He couldn't be a jerk! "I'd love to visit sometime," I said, prepping my chin on my palm.

Tristan puffed his chest and nodded. "Yeah, that would be awesome," he replied. "Candy loves seeing new people."

I knitted my eyebrows. "Candy?"

"A Labradoodle," Tristan said. "She's the star of the shelter, if you ask me."

"Ah," I blurted out. Tristan shrugged and took a bite out of his meatball.

"This is Will," Rom continued, gesturing to the guy in a jersey. "He's a runner in the Campus's track and field team."

I took in a boy with spiky, dark hair and a fairly stocky build. Even when he's sitting, he towered over the people at the table. Dark-rimmed glasses sat on his nose. He barely gave a nod when Rom introduced him to me, his eyes trained on his food like a soldier.

"Is it hard playing sports with glasses?" I asked out of curiosity.

Will shrugged. "One's gotta make the best out of what one has," he said. "Besides, it's track and field so there's not much player-to-player contact. My glasses are safe."