The Gallery

Harry

I've been watching a lot of Netflix lately, since Mitch and Sarah have been weirdly busy, and refuse to tell me why or invite me whenever they go out, and Mackenzie Mackenzie hasn't been around as much since she met a guy the other week- also hasn't invited me out with them, and I'm trying to keep my distance with Vic, so... that just leaves me, except I haven't exactly been great company lately.

I decided to go to her gallery tonight solo, Sarah and Mitch are going with Mackenzie the guy she's seeing, and I'm sure David will be floating around so, to avoid the awkward 5th wheeling and the painful small talk with the guy that's dating the girl I love, I'm going by myself.

I decided to wear a plain black suit, with a white lace shirt underneath it and a black ribbon tie, with the pearl necklace. I wonder what color she's wearing tonight. I was nervous to see her tonight, I haven't seen her since we talked over 4 days ago....we're not talking lately. Did she even want me there tonight or would this ruin the entire night?

I sat in my car for 15 minutes once I parked at the gallery fighting with myself on whether or not I should go in or just leave before anyone even sees me here, and what's David gonna say if he runs into me? I know I'd have a couple of things to say to my girlfriend's ex after finding out they kissed a week and a half ago, I won't blame him if he punches me right on the spot.

I finally worked up the courage to get out of my car and walk towards the entrance. I buttoned the black blazer and took a deep breath and pushed the large glass doors open and walked inside. It was bright in here, with every since of the room illuminated, showing the white walls covered in artists' work. There were hundreds of people in here walking around with champagne flutes, as the servers offered finger foods and drinks on platters. This was nothing like the show she was in last year, this felt like the big leagues. I walked in and emerged myself into the crowd of people and taking a glass from a server's tray as I walked by, and took a sip.

I walked by each artist standing with their art and they all looked so proud to be here, I hope Victoria was as happy as they are on her big day. I walked by dozens of happy faces with their displays and the anxiety of being here started to settle a bit knowing I've made it this far in without seeing anyone I know, or that knows me, I was only here for one person tonight.

I walked around aimlessly for a little longer before I saw her, wearing a beautiful red dress and and even more beautiful smile, as she stood in front of her wall as she talked to someone about her photos. Her long brown hair was curled and laid so nicely over her shoulders, her make up was subtle and casual and she wore a few rings and a pear necklace, I assume it's the one I returned to her last week.

I'm not sure I can do this anymore.
If I turn around now, I can step out and no one will have even seen me.

But as I looked closer I could vaguely see a few of her photos, and if I'm right (and not just being self absorbed) it looks like one of me, and before I was able to sneak away I turned my focus back to her who smiled to me and waved. I took a deep breath and walked over to her while trying to wipe the sweat from my hands on my pants.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." I said and she shook her head and smiled, giving me a quick side hug. It lasted 2 seconds, but the sweet scent of her lavender shampoo lingered and reminded me how much I miss that smell on my pillows.

"Thank you for coming at all." She said lightly.

"The guys come by yet?" I asked and her smiled grew wider across her face.

"Yeah, I have no idea if they left yet or not though... I met that guy Mack's seeing... Ben? He seems nice. I figured you would've been with them... I just thought you weren't coming." She said and i furrowed my brows and shook my head quickly.