chapter five.

august 19, 2004

august 19, 2004.

Timid, you hum lowly as Charlie crosses his arms beside you. The bright artificial lights beam down on you as you both wait for the nurse to call your name.

Charlie looks at you with fondly-irritated eyes. You understood why, seeing as you hid the injury from him until the morning. Charlie didn't seem to like his eggs as much after he realized you'd been cooking with a dislocated arm.

Still, you looked away, half shamed and half unremorseful.

Soon you get called into the room, and you're seated on a bed with three nurses bustling around you with what feels like a million questions. The quizzing starts easing when a tall man with blond hair came in. Instantly, you knew who it was.

Dr. Cullen.

As he comes in, you easily notice the similarities between Dr. Cullen and his son. For Jasper being adopted, they shared a lot of features; light brown, almost golden eyes, pale skin, blond hair. It surprised you at first, but you dismissed it, only faintly wondering if they chose to adopt children who looked like them.

One of the nurses shoves a clipboard in his hand, smiling at him. He gives them a swift smile back, clearly in a hurry.

All of the nurses dart out of the room as he reads the clipboard, moving on to the next patient. Which left you and Charlie alone with the doctor.

He glances a couple of times in between the chart and you, and smiles.

|

"Hold still for me."

You grunt as he pushes against your shoulder, a loud pop echoing between you. Tears sting your eyes as you stare determinedly at the ground, away from the doctor.

"That's going to hurt for a while," Dr. Cullen informs you, "You'll have to wear the sling for a few days at least." He pauses, stretching over to grab his clipboard off the counter.

"Be careful when lifting anything for the first couple of weeks, and especially don't lift anything heavy, okay? You can take off the sling after a few days to a week."

You smile up at him as one of the returning nurses helps you get the sling on. "Yeah, thank you, Dr. Cullen."

He smiles back as Charlie waits nervously in the corner. He's practically jittering-- not that anyone but you can tell. Charlie was pretty good at only looking awkward or serious, but with a twitch of a mustache, you could tell he was anxious. 

"We good to go, kid?"

You stand up and look down at the sling. "Think so," you turn to Dr. Cullen. "Right?"

"Yes, you should be all good." He confirms.

Clapping his hands together, Charlie smiles awkwardly. "Alright, thanks for your time, Dr. Cullen. We appreciate it."