chapter eight.

august 21, 2004

august 21, 2004.

As you explain the fight to Leah, she is painfully quiet, her face going still. Despite her lack of emotion, she listens closely. Her eyes flicker in between you and the edges of the frayed blanket she holds. It's one you had since you were a child, blue and spotted and she tugs it closer to her chin as you murmur the last bits of the confrontation.

"I told him that I would tell you if he didn't."

With your final words, you absorb the way she curled into your pillows, eyes watery, and not quite crying; just something on the brink. You attempt to form some sort of comfort for her, something to help ease the blow, but she just sighs.

"I know," she says quietly. "I know."

For a few seconds, you pause, words stuttering in your mouth. "You know? He told you?"

Leah takes a heavy breath and smiles sadly, hatred smoothing in through the edges. "Emily told me."

"Emily?"

"He started flirting with her." She says, hands tightening around the blanket. "She," Then they loosen, "She was outside with Seth and he just, just started talking to her and laughing, and, and," Her voice falters and you reach forward, catching her in your arms.

"It's not like she's flirting back, but she's my cousin. Who goes after their ex's cousin?"

Assholes. Your mind helpfully supplies.

"I don't know what I did wrong--"

"Nothing." You tell her, "Nothing."

She mumbles something and you press her tighter against your chest, letting her hold onto your sides with a bruising grip.

"Then why doesn't he want me?" You shiver and let her tuck her head into your neck.

"Why does he want her?"

Later that night, Leah lays next to you, your hands entwined. "I'm sorry." She says.

Sleepily, you roll towards her, "For what?"

"For when we fought." She admits, her eyes screwed shut. "It wasn't fair of me."

You pull your pillow over your arm and hum. The hurt had lingered, but you had already understood that most of it came from the truth in her argument. You squeeze her hand, curling tighter around each other.

"You weren't wrong."

Leah huffs at you and closes her eyes. The frayed blanket covers both of your feet.

The morning comes quickly after.

|

december 16, 2004.