t w e l v e ↣ salvage

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

M E G A N

"Why on earth would we do that?" I quietly scold Carl.

"On the off-chance that things go south at the armory, we'd have our supplies safe somewhere." He says. "Or if we somehow get separated, we'd have a place in mind to meet up."

The boy's been trying to convince me to leave all of our food in the house that we've taken our brief residence in. Everything that comes out of his mouth unintentionally makes my nerves worse.

The both of us have this very muted disagreement while standing on the front porch of the creaky old house we've been staying in for the last few days. Although I'm finally back on my feet, I still will never have enough energy to deal with Carl's antics.

"What if someone else finds it?" I ask, pausing for a brief moment while I wait for his response. Carl can't respond fast enough before more questions start pouring out of my mouth.

"Why would things go south at the armory? Isn't it only like ten minutes away? We could make it back safe—"

"Megan." Carl groans and rolls his eyes. "It's a backup plan. If we do have to run from walkers, do you really want twenty pounds of stuff weighing you down?"

I stay silent while I avoid eye contact with him.

"Look Megan, right now you're already weak enough as it i—"

"Fine, Carl." I surrender. "Get to navigating." I mutter as I dig in my pocket for the map. I find the folded piece of paper and shove it in his direction.

I swing my mostly empty drawstring pack over my shoulder before holding my free arm against my chest and staring the boy down. The chilly morning weather makes my body feel like I'm still having cold-sweats.

The boy haphazardly takes the map from my hand and steps down the porch stairs. I quietly follow in his steps. He unfolds the map as he walks down the front yard and onto the street. Once he gets the map open, he flips it around and studies it for a minute before lifting his eyes back up.

He looks from left to right before nodding his head, causing his hat to gently shift upward along his forehead. "This way."

I take a few quick steps behind him in order to catch up. My body still feels a little weak and unsteady as I try to keep my focus on the pavement ahead of me. I notice Carl's boots come into view, and my eyes trace up the boy's body until they land on his face.