p a r a l l e l s

┌───────────────────────────┐

───── CH 8 ─────

M E G A N

"I found this map of the prison complex," The boy says, taking out a folded pamphlet from his back pocket. "There's an armory in the direction we were headed anyways."

"But we'll need weapons to even get to there in the first place, Carl." I bluntly state.

"Well," The boy sighs. "My dad took my gun, so can I use yours since I'm a better shot?" He says, opening his hand out to me.

I shake my head and pull my pistol out of my holster, placing the gun in the palm of the boy's hand.

"You know," I start, exiting my brief state of anger. "Glenn just got the showers set up. It's a shame we won't get to use them."

"We'll have all the time in the world to shower." Carl rolls his eyes.

"Yeah," I mutter. "In rainwater."

───── CH 15 ─────

C A R L

"This might sting." I warn her, slowly pouring the water down her back, starting it at her shoulders.

"It actually feels kind of nice." She chuckles, her eyes meeting mine for a brief moment. Our eye contact lingers for a few seconds before I remember that the girl is nearly naked.

I quickly pull my eyes from her face, focusing solely on her injured back. Luckily, a good bit of the glass came out when I poured the water over her cuts. I scoop the mug in the shallow water once again and dribble it down the surface of her exposed back.

A few more small shards of glass fall out of her skin. I place the mug down on the floor before I reach my hand toward a piece that won't budge. I grip it with the tips of my fingers and slowly pull it out.

I chuckle to myself. "At least this isn't rainwater."

└───────────────────────────┘

┌───────────────────────────┐

───── CH 15 ─────

C A R L

"Megan!" I call to the girl, not being able to wait to tell her the good news. "Come see what I found."

I see the girl turn the corner from the left side of the store. She makes her way over to the door. I step aside and let her enter the room, keeping my flashlight aimed on the supplies.

Her eyebrows raise and her face softens as she sees what's in front of us. Megan's eyes meet mine and we both exchange a look of gratitude. The moment doesn't last very long before her face drops.

"What if these belong to someone else?" She asks. I almost wince at the thought of Megan making me leave the supplies here.

"Look at all the dust, Megan." I sigh, motioning to the pile. "No one has seen these supplies in a long time. They were locked in here." I walk over to the supplies, bending down toward the first aid kit. I swipe my finger along the layer of dust that coats it. "Whoever put this here isn't coming back."