Chapter 6

It was dim. Wherever he was, it was dark. Seafoam eyes slowly regarded the area around him as his consciousness slowly returned. He shook his head, shaking away at the aching in the back of his head, chains rattled as he looked upward, noting his binded arms. He could also feel his right arm again, which was good. Peering down, his legs were left unbound, most likely because the captor highly doubted he could escape already especially with the Honkai absorption shackles that were keeping him hanging. 

Soleil peered outward and saw her. Wendy was slouched over, her back turned to him as he noticed her shoulders shake briefly. She was scared. 

"Hey, Wendy."

The girl jolted, but didn't turn, still staring at the cell wall in front of her. He wet his dry lips, concentrating upon the Natural Stigmata on his hand. The burning of the heat and corruption coursed through him once more, but he would deal with it, his only concern as of that moment was escaping with the other captive. 

"Wendy. I know you can hear me, so I'm just going to tell you. I'm going to break us out of here, and we'll go back home. Together. There's no way in hell I'm gonna allow you to just wallow away in this hellhole, especially with that madwoman." His determination cut through her heart like a hot dagger, she warmed up to him but hung her head down. 

"I'm just a Herrscher now...there's no life for me outside of this cell. I should just sit here and rot." Her voice came in hiccups. He could hear the soft patter of tears hitting the metal floor as she visibly shook in her spot. 

He shook his head, scowling. "To hell with that! You're nothing like the Herrschers, you were just scared of what people would do to you if they tried getting their hands on the Gem. You're not in the wrong, Wendy, you haven't hurt anybody. And I refuse to take any other excuse or reason." 

"But I could! And I can! People wouldn't try to understand that I'm a human with Herrscher powers, or a Herrscher that became human! They would just be scared of the monster I am, the enemy of Humanity..." 

Soleil wrangled in his cell, chains rattling loudly as he tore her from the pit of despair she was creating. "Then I'll show them all, I'll show em the Wendy that I know. The one that shows an adorable smile when she's presented a crepe! The one that rolls around in her sleep! The one that celebrates and jumps in the air when she's excited! I'll show the world that the Wendy they're looking at is the human Wendy!" 

She turned in shock as he listed down all the things she saw as embarrassing parts of herself. Steam erupted from her as her face was set in an atomic blush. She screamed back at the laughing young man. 

"That's too embarrassing! There's no way you would actually tell everyone that!" 

"But that's exactly why they'd believe me! There's no way such a cute girl would react like that if she were the enemy of Humanity!" 

Wendy looked around her cell, a sad stare as she turned to the still chained knight. "But how're we going to escape? I can barely control my powers and my legs stopped working again. I can't walk again...I'm useless." 

Soleil smiled, his confidence shining through once more, calming her heart. It was the unique property of his that drew Wendy in, his ability to grin even in the worst of situations. The knight looked out, peering for any guards or even Mechas that were stationed around them. 

He was going to bet on his Kaslana luck once more. 

"If you can't control it yet, then we'll train you to master the power and if you can't walk then it's a great thing I love carrying you. We'll help you. You don't need to trust in Schicksal. You don't even need to trust in St. Freya. Place your faith in me." 

An explosion rocked through the facility, large enough to shake their prison that Soleil guessed to be in the deeper parts of this base. A smirked played across his face as he admired the surprise on Wendy's face. Clenching his fists and exerting his signature strength, he snapped the metal links wrapped around his hands apart, the broken chains clattered and dropped to the ground as he began melting away at the cuffs themselves. With his restraints gone, he stepped out of the deactivated cell and crouched down to Wendy. 

With a soft smile, he reached out with his hand.

And Wendy held out her arms, a bright smile and tears running down her cheeks.

Both of them, happy to be with one another again.

.....

Soleil sprinted down the winding hallways and opening doors, clutched in his arms was Wendy as she whooped in delight as her human vehicle picked up speed. In blazing speeds, he shot through each corridor, narrowly avoiding the occasional Mecha that veered around each corner. His mind clicked as he forgot one small detail.

He didn't have his weapons on him...

"Shit...I don't have any of my equipment on me, especially the Shamash..."

Wendy perked up at his mutterings, shutting her eyes, her hair began to take on its green glow. A soft breeze ticked Soleil's face as he felt a wind current begin to lift. Wendy suddenly stretched her arm out, pointing down to the east hall. 

"I can feel it, the presence of another core. As well as two others that are moving. Keep following the wind and you'll find your weapons again." 

Soleil grinned, already starting to sprint in the guided direction. "Once again, you've pretty much saved my ass again. Where the hell would I be without my Sylph?"

Wendy couldn't let out a squeak when the knight suddenly screeched to a halt, the passageway having been block by an entourage of mechanical enemies.
Shifting his hold with the girl in his arms, he brought his head down to whisper.

"Get ready and sit tight, the rest of the way will get bumpy"

Wendy curled up even more and wrapped her arms around his neck. His body heated up and his eyes glowed like emeralds.

In a burst of flames, he dashed, weaved, hurdled and rushed past each of the Mechas. The hallway suddenly expanded out, a giant, motionless automaton stood at the far end of what seemed to be a vehicle bay. Only this one was created to fit the titanic mech.

"What in the hell? That thing doesn't seem like any other Mecha that I've seen from Anti-Entropy. I wonder if it's a new model?"

Whatever the thing was, Wendy did not like it. She shrinked and shirked even further into Soleil's chest, he brought his hand up and soothed her hair, relaxing her by just a mere fraction.

"Can we please just get out of here. I don't want to spend another minute in this place." Wendy's voice came in a hushed plea.

"Ditto. But I don't know the way out and I'm pretty sure that Mei and Bronya are still here. Especially Kiana, if the numerous explosions are her doing." At her mention, the facility shook once more. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end as he suddenly jerked, leaping out of the way as a Mecha was thrown their way.

Turning back with a scowl, the WOTAN model suddenly roared to life as it tore away at its bay. The charcoal titan marched from its place and stopped short of the Knight and Herrscher's position, the glow of the Honkai energy evident in the "veins" that ran across the mechnical body.

"Shit."

Surprisingly, it was Wendy whom summarised their situation.