Chapter Eight

"I know and I'm sorry about what happened but Jamie isn't completely at fault here," said uncle Cole.

"What do you mean?" Asked Ember's granny.

"They both were too drunk to know what they were doing. When Jamie came to his senses, he was distraught to find Ember gone. He tried to commit suicide when he realized what he'd done. He would have been dead had Josh not saved him. He's admitted to the hospital, Mrs Fischer. He needs psychological counseling. The boy isn't bad, he's an orphan and has no one to call his own. He might have liked Ember. Whatever happened shouldn't have happened and if anyone is at fault, it's us. We shouldn't have left the house and allowed that party to happen," said an apologetic uncle Cole.

"If you report to the police, he will be in a bigger mess and maybe this time we wouldn't be able to save his life. I will admit him for psychological counseling once he's released from the hospital. He won't bother Ember again but please, I beg of you, let it go," Ember's uncle pleaded.

"Fine then. I'm letting this go but please ensure that he never bothers Ember again," said granny.

"I swear, he won't, " said uncle Cole. Granny disconnected the call and updated her husband. They sat worrying about Ember.

The next two weeks Ember wasn't in a mental state to go to work. She stayed at home and refused to come out of her room. Granny tried talking to her lovingly, tried comforting her but when everything failed, she called their family doctor. Granny explained everything that happened to her.

"She needs counseling. You should have consulted a therapist immediately," said the doctor. "Here's the number of a good therapist. She's a consultant at Fordsville Public Hospital. Call her and take an appointment. She might be willing to come home to see your grand daughter, " said the doctor. Then he checked Ember and took her blood sample.

"I think your grand daughter is pregnant. I'll do a blood test and confirm the pregnancy, " he said, before leaving. Ember looked at the doctor, dismayed at the news. She was pregnant with Jamie's baby? She just couldn't believe it. What would she do now? She was doomed for life. All her dreams were shattered. She called Jazz.

"Jazz, can you give me Jamie's phone number?" She croaked in a small voice. Jazz was too stunned to react.

"Okay. How are you Ember? I'm sorry for forcing you to drink. I've never been able to forgive myself for it, " said Jazz.

"I forgive you. Jusy give me the number, please, " she disconnected the call. Jazz forwarded her Jamie's number.

Ember stared at the number unable to decide whether she should call or not. Finally, she decided to go for it. He should know about his baby after all. After repeated rings, finally he picked up the phone.

"Hello," he said in a hoarse whisper at the unknown number which had called him.

"It's me, Ember, " said Ember quietly. There was a pin drop silence at the other end.

"Jamie? Are you there?" She asked not being able to hear him. He started breathing erratically.

"Yes," he whispered again.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm pregnant with your baby," she told him. There was more silence. Ember couldn't fathom what he was thinking. He hadn't said a word so far. She could only hear his heavy breathing.

"Don't you have anything to say dammit?" She asked, losing her patience.

"I'm not good enough for you," he said in that same hoarse whisper as if he was having difficulty breathing.

"You should have thought about it before r*ping me," she yelled into the phone. Again silence. Was he crying? Ember couldn't make out clearly. He didn't say a word after that.