Chapter Nineteen

Ember couldn't believe her ears. Rex who never had a relationship with anyone ever at twenty-eight and was still single, wanted to marry her? She felt frustrated that he escaped dropping that bomb shell. It made her yearn to catch hold of him and ask what he meant by that statement.

The next day, after duty, Adelaide pulled her along with her to Wildcreek Ranch for the final rehearsal. Her eyes popped seeing her granny laughing along with granny Jenny and Adelaide's granny. "There you are dear. Just change out of that uniform, " said her granny.

"But I didn't bring any change of clothes. This was so sudden," said Ember with a pout.

Granny Stacey handed her a bag. "I've got you a dress. Here," she said. Ember smiled thankfully and walked towards Rhett's room where Adelaide was changing. She had just gone down the corridor but suddenly a door opened and she was pulled inside by two strong arms. Ember stared into two dark orbs of Rex as he pinned her against the closed door.

"Got you, " he whispered, biting her ear lobes gently.

"I need to change Rex," she said in a pissed off mood.

"Are you angry with me?" Rex, staring deep into her eyes.

"Yes. You can't just say things and run away without an explanation," she huffed, turning her head away.

"What explanation do you want? Ask me?" He said, his hot breath fanning her face.

"I want answers, Rex. Firstly, I want to know why you're still single. Secondly, I want you to explain the meaning of your comment last night. Why did you talk of our wedding?" She asked, her eyes flashing with curiosity.

"Fine, I'll tell you everything. In return I want to know why you run away from relationships, why you don't want a boyfriend, why don't you want me. Done?" He asked in a solemn tone.

Ember stared at him, stupefied by his deal. No, she wasn't ready to share her past with anyone. It was too painful for her to remember. She pushed him away and walked out of the room, dashing towards Rhett's room. Adelaide was there, already out of her nurse's uniform. "I was waiting for you. Where did you suddenly vanish?" Asked Adelaide.

"Rex caught me, " she told her and Adelaide grinned.

"Did he kiss you?" She whisper shouted.

"No, I escaped before that, " she laughed at Adelaide's pout. The rest of the rehearsal, she didn't get any opportunity to interact with Rex alone. Granny Stacey left after sometime as she had to make dinner for her husband. Ember wasn't done yet so Rex volunteered to drop her home. 

After the whole rehearsal was over, Rex led her to his car. He opened the door for her and then climbing in, drove towards her house. He drove off the road to the little creek where they had stopped a few days back. He led her to the same boulder and sat down beside her quietly, without releasing her hand.

"I might be well-liked but I'm a very romantic guy at heart. I had always dreamed of falling in love with someone for life. I had waited for that type of love but it didn't happen," he said softly watching the water shimmering in the moonlight. Ember held her breath waiting for him to continue. 

"Four years back I saw a girl, with long brown hair and emerald green eyes and I was mesmerized by her but she vanished at the blink of an eye as if she weren't for real. I searched for her every day but in vain. I didn't know her, I never saw her again. I waited at the marketplace everyday at that time and then one day I again saw her. I had a minor accident and she again vanished. I searched for her for four years. My heart was crushed. I knew I was doomed if I didn't get to see those emerald eyes again. I was in love. It was frustrating when you finally find love yet you are powerless as you don't know a thing about her," said Rex, absent-mindedly stroking her hand.

Ember was dumbfounded by his admission. She sat quietly with her breath stuck in her throat waiting for him to continue with his story. Rex expelled a staggering breath.

"I had given up all hope and had decided to stay single forever if I didn't find her," he told her, turning to look at her without a blink as if he was about to tell her something which he'd never said before.

"Then?" Whispered Ember.

"Then God took pity on me and all the heavens conspired together and decided to grant me my wish. Suddenly, out of nowhere in my room, right in front of my eyes, I saw her standing," he said almost in a whisper.  "You are that emerald-eyed girl I saw four years back, Ember. I'm single 'coz I was waiting for love. I was waiting for you, Ember," he said quietly. Before Ember could calm her rapidly beating heart or react, he lowered his head and claimed her lips in a hot, possessive and lingering kiss. The fire crackled under their skin as the kiss turned more heated than intended. He parted Ember's mouth with his probing tongue and glided inside her, to taste her thoroughly wildly.  Feeling her not responding, he pulled back and looked deeply into her unhappy face and hollow eyes.

"What happened, Ember? Did my confession make you unhappy? I swear to God that I'm in love with you, only you. The last four years, I'd been very heartbroken because I had thought that I would never find you. I know you might think how could I fall in love with you just by seeing you twice? But I did and it's the truth. Love can happen to anyone. It happens when you least expect it to happen. It did with me. Won't you say something?" He pleaded in earnest.

Big fat tear drops fell from Ember's eyes. She felt worthless. She wasn't fit for such a divine and true love. If only Rex knew how tarnished her body was how polluted her soul was. While he had dreams of a happily ever after with the one he loved, she had nothing. No dreams, no wishes, nothing. She had nothing to give him.

"Ember? You're crying?" He asked in a tortured voice, at a loss as to what he might have said to make her unhappy.

"I'm not worthy of such a pure heart, Rex. I can't give you anything. I'm broken. If you knew about me, you wouldn't love me any more," she said getting up to run towards the car. Rex was stunned by her words but soon realized that she was running.

He caught her and pulled her towards his warm body, hugging her tightly, letting her cry, take it all out on him. His hand stroked her hair tenderly while she clung to him and sobbed brokenly. This was what she had been dreaming of all her life, for her Rex to love her back. Now that he finally had, she didn't feel the happiness that she thought that she should feel. It felt as if she was betraying him.

"Forget me Rex. I'm not what you think I am. I have nothing to give you," she said, releasing him slowly and wiping her eyes. Rex watched her minutely. He had long back realized that she might have gone through some trauma in her life but had decided to let her trust him enough to tell him. Her past didn't matter to him much. He loved her and finally found her and she liked him and responded to him was enough for him to last a lifetime.

"I can't forget you, Ember. If I could, I would have been married by now. Don't say that you're not worthy of me. I'm no saint. I love you just the way you are. Your past doesn't matter to me. I'm not expecting anything from you. I just love you, " he said in a tortured voice to convince her.

"I can't do this, Rex. You don't deserve someone like me. I'm tainted, I'm the laughing stock of Fordsville. Everyone will laugh if they see me with you," she warned him. His hand gripped her wrist firmly, yet tenderly.

"I don't care. I need you, be mine Ember. Marry me, please," he said softly. Ember stood thunderstruck by his proposal. Did she hear him correctly? Did he just ask her to marry him?

"What did you say?" She asked in a squeak.

He knelt on one knee and holding onto her hands said earnestly. "I love you too much to lose you Ember. I'm tired of waiting for your love. I don't care about your past, I'm only concerned about our present and our future. I know you feel something for me. I can see it in your eyes. There's a magic between us that indicates that we're destined for each other. So, please let's not waste any more time. Marry me and relieve me from this torture. Be mine, Ember, " he said, hopefully.