Chapter 11

The drop had been complete chaos. The planes had been forced out of formation and they'd been dropped haphazardly all over the peninsula.

Valerie cursed the Germans and their anti-aircraft guns as she trudged her way through a soggy field. They'd thrown the whole operation into disarray and now she found herself lost and alone in the middle of occupied Normandy.

She eventually came to some trees, but abruptly stopped in her tracks and hid behind one when she heard voices. As she listened in she realised they were German, and they were getting closer to her. By the sounds of it there was only two of them, and Valerie made the snap decision to take them out. She flicked off the safety of her gun and pulled the bolt slowly, trying to be as quiet as possible lest they discover her.

She peered around the trunk of the tree and spotted them standing a few yards away. She took a steadying breath before stepping out from behind the tree. She fired off two quick rounds, hitting them both with a deadly blow before they could react. She flicked on the safety in her M1 before approaching the two fallen soldiers, searching them for anything useful. She plucked a few rations from their pockets before continuing on her way, being mindful of her steps and listening out for other voices.

After what felt like a lifetime she came upon a hedgerow, and once she got through it she found herself on a railway, which she recognised from the sand tables. At least now she could orient herself and follow a path. She made her way down the railroad track, watching the hedgerows all the time for signs of movement.

She froze when she saw a group up ahead, quietly moving to the side of the railroad and ducking along by the hedgerow to get closer to them. As she approached she heard familiar voices and sighed in relief.

"Flash," she called out, clicking her cricket to reiterate that she was friend, not foe.

"Thunder," a voice called back, and she was relieved to hear it was Dick. As she approached the group she was thankful she'd run into familiar faces from Easy .

"Lieutenant Landry, good to see you" grinned Lipton as she walked up to them. She was delighted to see him, and she also noticed Popeye was part of the group too. At least she'd found two members of her platoon.

"You too Lip, and you Pop," she smiled, clapping them both on the shoulder. "So, what's the plan?" She asked, turning to Dick.

"We're making our way to Ste. Marie du Mont," he explained as the group started to move again, "were still about six miles from town so we need to move quickly." Valerie nodded and fell in behind him. They walked in silence, the only sound that of their boots on the wood or crunching the gravel. After a few hours they heard German voices on the road, and Dick held up a hand to stop them moving.

Dick pulled them off the railroad and led them to a spot overlooking the road. It was a textbook ambush position, so he directed those who had guns on where to position themselves.

"Wait for my command," he instructed, holding up his hand. Valerie held her rifle, tensed and ready to fire. She could feel Guarnere shuffling beside her but she tuned him out, focusing on the objective and waiting for the order to fire.

Guarnere however had other plans. He rained fire on the passing German convoy, so the rest had no choice but to join in. It was a bloodbath in the end. The Germans returned fire but it was wasted, and it was all over within minutes.

"Next time I say wait for my command, you wait for my command," Dick snapped, getting up in Guarnere's face. Valerie had never seen him so furious, jaw clenched and eyes blazing. It was a completely different side of him, and she had to admit to herself that she was impressed he had it in him.