Chapter 20

"Grip those binoculars any tighter and you'll snap them in half."

Dick sighed and lowered the binoculars from his eyes as Nix stepped up beside him and leaned his arms against the railing of the bell tower.

"Can't help it," Dick sighed, continuing to scan the horizon for any signs of offensive movement, "They've cut the highway and they could head our way at a moment's notice."

"I have no doubt you'll be ready for them when they do," Nix quipped, plucking a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it. "Anything else you'd like to get off your chest?" He asked nonchalantly after a beat.

Dick was about to turn to Nix with an incredulous look when he spotted the tanks rolling down the road towards them. "Aw hell Nix they're coming right now," he hissed, already running for the stairs of the "a patrol of them. We need to set up a counter offensive and push them back."

"They don't waste any time now do they?" Nix griped as he fell into step beside Dick on his way down the winding staircase.

"Unfortunately for us, no" Dick sighed, his mind already going into overdrive. "Hey Harry, gather the platoon together," he called as he came to a stop in the street. He was considering how to quickly place roadblocks on the way into town when Harry returned with the platoon in tow.

"No need to panic men, it's just another normal day for Easy; we're surrounded by Krauts." A ripple of laughter passed through the gathered group, and he was glad to have at least momentarily alleviated some of the stress and tension. "We need to set up roadblocks on every road leading into town, leave them no openings. Then we hit them head on with everything we've got and push them back.  Sergeant Lipton, find as many men as you can and set them up on the perimeter line."

On his command the group quickly separated, rushing to set up the required roadblocks. His thoughts briefly landed on the group in Veghel, but he didn't have time to worry about them on top of anything else. He just had to hope that they had it under control without him.

~~~~~

"Seems we scared them off," chuckled Harry as he made his way over to Dick and Nix, "they weren't long high-tailing it back down hell's highway."

"There ain't a Kraut in all of Europe that can get the best of Captain Dick Winters," Nix grinned, slinging an arm around Dick's shoulders, "in fact it seems the only person that can get under Dick's skin is a certain Lieutenant Landy."

"Oh not this again," Dick huffed, shrugging out from under Nix's arm and frowning in dismay.

"Aw c'mon Dick," Harry grinned, "you have to admit that nobody riles you up like she does."

"That's because she's..."

"The love of your life?" Nix chimed in with a grin, "the most beautiful woman you've ever laid your eyes upon? The itch you need to scratch or you'll explode from frustration?" Harry was laughing so hard beside him that his eyes were welling up.

"No!" Dick sputtered, the tips of his ears flaming, "she's very confusing and hard to read is what I was going to say."

"Yeah," snorted Harry, "that doesn't mean you don't like her though."

"If you two are quite done disecting my non-existent romantic life," Dick grumbled, "I have checks to go and do. I suggest you both do the same. " With that he turned on his heel and made his way towards the bell tower, ignoring the burning in his cheeks with vehement determination.

"Aw c'mon Dick, don't be like that," Nix called as he followed him up the stairs of the tower, "you know Welshy and I just want you to be happy."

Dick ignored him as he stepped up to the balcony and brought his binoculars to his eyes. He hoped that Nix would take the hint and drop the subject, but alas it seemed luck just wasn't on his side.