Chapter Six

After talking to her mother last night, Honeydew's mind was stuck on Gunnar

She didn't understand why people were so awful to him, why he seemed a little reserved when they met.

She understood how it felt to be isolated and judged. It wasn't fun. However, she didn't pity Gunnar. She cared about him and wanted to know him better.

The goal of her day was to spend some time with Gunnar over lunch. His personality was unmatched, and his love for God made her even more eager to spend time with him.

So she found his business card and ended up at Hendrik's Autoshop.

"Hey, Gunnar!" Honeydew exclaimed as she walked into the shop. She looked around the shop and saw some legs sticking out from underneath a truck.

Moments later, Gunnar rolled out from under the truck. "That ain't Honeydew?" He asked, surprised.

He stood up and wiped his oily hands on his jeans. "This gots to be the best surprise I've had yet!" He smiled genuinely.

Honeydew's heart fluttered at Gunnar's joy. He was the happiest man she'd ever met.

"I wanted to have lunch with you if that's alright with you," She said and held up the basket of food she had bought.

Gunnar huffed lightly, and his smile faltered.

His entire demeanor changed.

"If it's not okay, I understand. You have work," Honeydew didn't want to upset him by being there. He didn't look offended, though, just confused.

Gunnar waved his hands and ran his fingers through his hair. "Lord, no. I just ain't had nobody other than the Carpenters be interested in being with me willingly. Folks just come and go," He explained, his voice still filled with confusion and shock.

Honeydew's heart dropped, and she placed the basket onto the stool and hugged him tightly.

She squeezed his sides gently and listened to his heartbeat speed up.

His arms cautiously wrapped around her, and he kissed her head gently. "You got to be a lil angel, Honeydew." His voice cracked as he spoke, and Honeydew patted his back.

"You've got to be the nicest and, honestly, the purest man I've met. Why do you get treated so badly?" She asked sincerely. It wasn't her plan to ask that, but she needed to know.

Gunnar pulled away from her and grabbed her hand. "That ain't true. I been made new through Christ. Him through me, Honeydew. Let's have that lunch, and I'll tell you a story." His demeanor was back to joyful and still, and Honeydew was glad.

He gently pulled her along with him to the office and pulled out his chair for her. "Siddown, and let me see what you brought," Gunnar said as he pulled a seat next to her.