Chapter 10: The Second Game, Part 1

"Contestants, please come forward," The fortress said to each of them.

Solan was the first to walk forwards, around the black glass chamber in which they answered the questions and deeper into the blackness of the fortress. Flood lights snapped onwards as he descended deeper into the darkness. The other contestants reluctantly followed.

As Solan came to a stop, the rest of the concealed stadium emerged upon five powerful spot lights which flicked on from left to right. A black concrete wall stretched all the way to the ceiling of the great fortress, the blue tube where Eeva and her guards used to be projecting forth but hidden from view. The great five circles of light which shone on the black wall revealed five doors, haunting and brown and wooden, the icons of each of the contestants upon them; four ravens on Tristan's door, three wolves on Luka's door, two bears on Adrian's door, one Orca on Calysa's door, and nothing but an empty plaque on Solan's.

The contestants walked slowly towards their designated door, awaiting the Programmer's instructions who remained silent for many moments, all of the Hosts wondering what the number of animals upon their doors could mean.

Solan, realizing silence was wasteful during their awaited instructions, turned to his fellow contestants who looked back to him, hate in their eyes and hearts. Luka's face was sternest, and took a majority of Solan's focus.

"Would you like to know why I keep beating you, boy? Where true greatness comes from?" Solan said, fixing the white collar to his uniform and running his hand through his hair which matched the innards of the fortress.

"I see you winning battles, Scientist. You haven't won the war," Adrian said, his fists and teeth clenched.

Solan ignored Adrian, and while keeping his green glaring eyes upon Luka, said, "Belief."

"Spare me your 'you can achieve anything as long as you believe in yourself' speech," Calysa scoffed. "We've all heard it before when we were children."

"You are mistaken, girl," Solan said as he smoothed his suit, Luka and the others cocking their heads in confusion. "I keep beating you because I believe in something greater than myself. And this belief is why I have achieved greatness. Why I am great. The five of you..." Solan stopped and chuckled, infuriating the Hosts, and continued, "...Four of you, my apologies... Believe only in what's right before your noses. Believing in each other. It's why you're destined to be mediocre. You haven't looked to the stars."

"Your 'belief' is in death and destruction and suffering," Calysa said to him. "Nothing more."

"Ah, just like during the Intermission you are two thirds correct, girl," Solan said back, his eyes now upon Calysa out of amusement. The other contestants were shocked he apparently knew how she answered. "I am a proponent of death and destruction, yes. Not suffering."

"You're not great. You're evil and ego, within flesh and bone. Even if you beat us, I know what happens to men like you," Calysa said and spat towards Solan.

Solan smiled and said, "And what happens to men like me, girl?"

"You die. And your bones turn to dust. And history books revile you. You won't be revered like you ego maniacs think you always will be," Calysa said.

Tristan glared at her, a glare that told her to relax and not let Solan get under her skin, as Tristan thought was happening.

Solan smirked at Calysa. "I like you, girl," He said to her as he turned back to his door.

Almost as if the Programmers were waiting for their conversation to finish, voices boomed in each contestant's head, the instructions of the next game presented.