Chapter 12: The Second Game, Part 3

Luka

Before Luka even broke down his door for his Dream beyond, and unlike his friends and Solan, he knew where the Programmers would take him before his body entered the realm.

He splintered the door with a thrust of his shoulder and fell inside, his face to the grey floor and his hands upon the cold crisp tiles.

He lifted his head.

He was within a chamber, a bedroom, clearly built for royalty, dim lights on crystal chandeliers and white walls with intricate designs, golden Wolves imprinted along silver horizontal paint which lined the edges of the chamber.

Without even standing, without looking upon the bed at the two chained prisoners, Luka clasped his eyes. He said, "What can I even learn from you both? Why am I here? We share blood and nothing more. You didn't raise me."

A woman, chained on the bed in a seated position, along with her husband, rattled their chains in an attempt to see Luka at the floor.

To lay their eyes upon their son.

"My dear boy," Chrea said to him, her arms outstretched in an attempt to hug her son who was now a man.

Luka slowly stood, saddened how his words must have struck his real parents. He didn't think their memory, or Dream, or whatever they were, could seem so authentic, and human. Chrea's voice and tone gripping him with guilt for having spoken to them the way he had.

"You're so handsome, son," Chrea said to him, aching for a hug from her son who she couldn't and didn't watch grow.

Luka, as saddened and disheartened as he was, tried to avoid physical contact with his parents altogether. He couldn't break down now. Because he knew this was inevitable in mere moments beyond.

He looked to the corner of the room, and saw a small bed along with a crib. A small boy, and a baby, were in each. Sleeping and in soft silver sheets.

"Verrae, and me, aren't they?" Luka said to his parents, nodding towards the two sleeping boys.

Rolbus nodded solemnly, tears at his serious eyes.

"Verrae betrays me," Luka said to his parents, his eyes frozen upon his crib, his eyes upon himself as a babe. "Your eldest son betrayed me."

Chrea stopped straining her arms towards Luka, realizing he was unmoving, too stunned and burdened to embrace his parents and past, knowing what was coming. "Luka, you must forgive him. He's a victim in this, just like you. You found a family, through your friends. Even love, haven't you? Verrae was brainwashed from birth. Solan was his only family. How can you be so sure you wouldn't have ended up the same, if he took you instead?"

"I was raised by a monster too, mom," Luka calmly said back, his eyes shifting to Verrae. "And I still fight the monsters. I never became one. Never stabbed family in the back..."

Luka reflected on his own words, and sadly added, "Intentionally."

Rolbus averted his eyes, while Chrea's welled up with tears. "Then be the boy I know you become," Chrea said to her son. "Forgive your brother. He's the only blood you have left. The thought of you alone... it breaks my heart."

Through all his hardships, and all his tragedies, Luka had grown stubborn. "What you ask is impossible, mom. I'm sorry. I can't forgive evil, regardless of whether it arises from victimhood or not, regardless if it shares my blood or not. And I'm not alone," Luka said to his mother, the faces of all his friends flashing in his mind, Eeva and Calysa flashing in his mind. "No more passes for foes masquerading as friends. No more betrayals. You two of all people should know that. I will not witness evil and stand idly by."