Chapter 20: The Marrow

They were already into the jungle terrain of Tiger country, intercepting the rural Ravens, Bears, and Tigers as they barely began their quest back towards the Eastern Outpost from Julien's ordered exile. Seemingly all around them were dark rain clouds circling, floating, and spreading quickly in the directions of the remaining Outposts and cities.

All the remaining Gifted except Luka and Eeva, who lived upon the planet, marching as one towards the Trees at whatever game Maeve was playing at, but believing and praying her intellect could rival her dark brother's.

They would arrive before nightfall at the Seven Trees, with even the old folk and children marching amongst the people, and it was approaching evening. Orca soldiers and the toughest of the rural folk lined the perimeter of the people, as Maeve and her machine and her passengers slowly rolled at the head of the pack towards the Trees, keeping their eyes both in front and to the people that followed behind.

Solan and his Outlander army from the east surely had landed by now, somewhere upon the coast, and he along with his eastern army would have scurried their way into his Labyrinth, able to transport to anywhere on the continent in minutes, linking up with his depleted but vengeful western army of Outlanders.

Maeve was keeping her eyes peeled, not for if, but when, he would show up.

Rosaya was scanning around the trees and backwards towards the people from a hatch that poked through the roof of Maeve's vehicle, her rifle in hand and keen eyes squinted, while Maeve continued to drive slowly forward and the others remained inside as well.

"With respect, scientist, we are begging to be ambushed," Julien said, fidgeting with his hands and tapping his golden boot anxiously. He was nervous.

"My brother and his Outlanders will not attack us," Maeve said back to him without turning her head, her eyes still peering straight ahead through her windshield beyond as she let Rosaya make sure behind was safe.

"Okay, then what will he do?" Goddard asked from the opposite seat of Julien.

"Gloat," She replied, slowly turning her wheel and returning it after they avoided and circled a swampy pond. "They will stop us from advancing. He'll want the Dark to destroy us while he watches. When he's not watching... well, that's a different story."

"...Which will also lead to our definite demise, no?" Talia said from the passenger seat. "All he has to do is encircle and trap us, wait for the Dark to finally get to us without firing a single bullet, without wasting one of his Outlanders. He'll easily spot a group this large... I don't see how this is a plan, Maeve."

Even Signey looked to Maeve with anxious eyes from directly behind her.

Maeve flashed everyone a wry smile in the rear view mirror as she crept along the jungle floor, but didn't say a word. One could have easily mistaken the gesture as confidence or lunacy.

With a squeak of her machine's brakes, they lurched to a stop after Rosaya tapped on Maeve's shoulder from her hatch and threw her black fist into a ball for the following people behind.

Maeve nodded towards her passengers and beyond, and said, "Right on time."

The Hosts and Julien exchanged scared glances as Maeve opened her door to dismount. They followed with a splat into the golden swampy floor, looking ahead to where Maeve was walking, past the thick trees and vines, and gasped.

An Outlander army was awaiting them, with all the usual machinery and tools of death, each at the front line with Sea Steel shields now aware of what Rosaya's weapon was able to do to an army.

At the front of the army was Solan, darker in the darkening light of the jungle which was becoming more of a forest, eyes almost glowing beneath distant black clouds and matching the red sparks in the sky, Golden Dagger at his waist as he limped forth. To his right was Warrax the Warrior, and on his left were Wantara and Verrae, the two Wolf Hosts who defected to Solan from birth. They slowly walked into the small swampy opening, clearly awaiting Maeve or leaders of the Gifted to arrive to speak with.