2. One Step Ahead

"Está aquí!" The man doesn't even raise his gun, glaring at the elevator metal doors closing.

I crack up, bending over. I escaped them, but that's not why I'm laughing. I'm having a damn breakdown. Pressure is going to kill me before anyone can find me.

"Drink my coffee. It looks like you need it more than me." A deep voice raises from the opposite corner of the elevator.

I observe the man that stares at me in return. A light flickers over his black suit.

"Your drink could be poisoned," I say. "I can afford to trust a stranger at the moment. Sorry, man; too many people want to kill me."

"It's not smart of you to say it to a stranger. I might want to kill you and bring your corpse to the untouchables for a big reward."

"Do you?" I challenge him, searching for his gaze between the instants of light and darkness blinding me.

The man's hand smoothly comes out of the darkness and I back up, unable to think properly. He holds the coffee, and all the gold rings on his fingers seem to make it hard for him to do so.

I grab the coffee, careful not to touch his hand, and drink it all in a single sip, then toss it on the ground. Fuck it. "Who are you?"

"Soy tu peor pesadilla." His raucous laugh sounds like a cough.

"What does that mean?"

"We're both Mexican. Learn your native language, idiota."

I raise my fists. "Who the fuck are you?!"

"You have a boyfriend, don't you?"

"Yes, and he's going to kick your ass."

He puts his hand around my neck and squeezes it. A choking sound comes out of my throat as his rings sink into my flesh, leaving a mark.

"¿Tú crees?" He asks, coming out from his dark corner.

All I see is his strong arm flexing to keep a tight grip on my neck and his blue sky eyes, then his lips are on mine.

A strong taste of mint and vodka gets on my tongue. His soft lips try to escape me, but I grab the man's shoulder and pull him closer, kissing him again, searching for something more and better.

His hands reach for my hips... and he pushes me away. I hit the wall behind me, groaning with the metallic sound of the elevator.

I glare at the stranger. "How do you know all those things about me?"

"I know everything," he says, calmly. "I know who you are, Gabriela Lopez. And now I know you're disloyal and unworthy of my trust. What do you know about me?"

"I know you're an asshole, and I want your name. It would be a coward move to fight me without telling me who I made my enemy."

He laughs in my face. "You're right. Name's Carlos. Carlos Quintero."

My heart skips a beat, I let myself fall on my knees.

The elevator doors open and four rifles aim at my head.