Chapter Nine - Confessions and support

"And you're 99

"And you're 99.9% sure?" I asked as I paced Madeline's room. She could've misheard something because she wasn't actually in the room. It didn't baffle me though. Kai had never dated a girl before, let alone talked to one. It kind of seemed obvious, but I guess my family and I were just oblivious.

"I mean, I could've misheard something. But I'm definitely sure he said, 'Love you too darling.'" Madeline mumbled.

I hummed to myself as I made my way back toward Madeline. It had started raining, so she was watching the rain from her position on the windowsill. I gently sat down next to her and put an arm around her. She placed her head on my shoulder and sighed.

A lot of pressure had been put on Madeline's shoulders. She was in charge of the med wing, she worked part-time at the doctor's office a few blocks away from the castle and on top of all that she was probably worried sick about me. I wanted her to relax for a bit, but I think we both knew that we couldn't rest while my Father sat on that throne.

"What should we do Ace? Are we going to blackmail him?"

I knew we couldn't blackmail him; he could use that against me later on. He was heartless, he had no mercy for anyone. Not even his older brother. He had always been a pain, ever since he was born. Once he was born, I was pushed aside and left alone. I was mistreated, I was blamed for anything Kai had done, I was mocked, I was left alone by my own parents.

"No, we can't use this against him. He'll find some way to use it against me too. You know him."

"Hm, maybe you should talk to him." Madeline walked over to her bathroom and opened the vanity drawer.

"What? Talk to the one person who has pushed me down a hole for half my life?" I walked toward her bed and fell face first on top of it.

"Well, yeah obviously. I mean how else are you going to get proper information about the situation? I could be wrong, you know, so I think a chat with him will be great." She said in a mocking tone whilst brushing her hair.

"Yeah... you're probably right."

I thought about it for a couple of minutes. She was right, how else were we meant to get proper information? With Kai becoming the heir of the throne, someday I would have to talk with him.

"Alright, guess I'm heading over to Kai's room. What do you reckon I should say?" I clapped my hands together and stood up. Madeline had strolled out with a mocking smile on her face.

"I might have a few ideas... grab a notebook, Acey."

+ + + +

I walked out of Madeline's room fixing my shirt. She gave me an encouraging smile before slamming the door in my face. I heard a faint clink and then footsteps receding. She wouldn't let me back in if I chickened out, she said she would meet me in my room at around 3pm. We had spent hours making up a conversation and then editing it.