Chapter 41

Amra would have damned her soul if it had meant staying with Dante, all Camiel had to do was decide, decide to step aside and let her lead her own life now, make her own choices, but when his eyes closed and opened once more with deep, eternal sadness, Amra felt only heart ache, even though he hadn't said a word. He didn't need to, his eyes said it all.

"I'm sorry." Camiel's voice broke, just as another boom shook the door beside them.

"Wh—"

"I have orders to follow." Camiel's arms snaked around Amra's back as he forcefully tucked her body towards his. "I'm sorry," he whispered again, but before Amra could ask why, she felt a searing hot pain shoot through her. 

She looked down and shock set in, realizing what Camiel had done as he pulled a blood-soaked blade out of her.

"Angel!" Dante's pained voice echoed behind her. 

Amra fell into Camiel's arms as her world began to darken. She could no longer feel the wetness of blood on her shirt and the pain began to subside for peace, as her soul moved into an eternal place of slumber, but before she could fully surrender to the dark world of rest, she could feel Dante's presence, so she fought just a little, giving herself the last of her strength to relish in it.

This being, who had been deemed wicked, had given her a second chance at life, whether he realized it or not... he was not evil. He'd fallen for her, given her strength, unraveled the truth, brought her to her siblings, and made her feel things she never thought she would.

If she could, she would have cried, because as wicked, as malevolent as she had once thought him to be, she realized that after everything that had happened... she loved him.

Dante... I love you.