Paying the Price

Kyojuro runs faster than he's ever ran before. The wind blows in his face and the darkness makes it difficult to see, but he keeps going. He has his Kasugai crow with him guiding him to Takko Village. He feels bad about disrespecting his master, but at this point he realizes that there's lives at stake.

Over at the headquarters, a crow has delivered a note to Kagaya. After reading what it says, he calls a Hashira meeting. All the Hashira gather as quickly as possible, all but one. Kagaya clears his throat to read the note to everyone. He informs them that an alleged Upper Rank has been spotted in a nearby forest.

"I don't know when this demon arrived here, but three Mizunoto ranks have already been devoured. I would like to send two Hashira. Rengoku, Shinazugawa, I would like you two to head there immediately.

Sanemi looks around.

"It appears that Rengoku isn't with us."

Gyomei opens his mouth to speak. Shinobu nudges him.

"Do not expose him. Not now." She whispers.

"Is anyone aware of his whereabouts?" Ubuyashiki asks.

"I have no idea, nor do I care." Obanai says.

"He's probably off eating somewhere!" Tengen jokes.

"Uzui, now is not the time." Shinobu says.

"Kocho, you're always so uptight! Loosen up a little!" He replies.

"She's right." Muichiro adds.

"We need to find Rengoku as soon as we can." Ubuyashiki orders.

He dismisses the meeting, and everyone heads off.

"Master, do I head towards the forest now?" Sanemi asks.

"Yes. When we find Rengoku, he will meet up with you immediately."

Shinobu, Gyomei, and Giyu head to the Butterfly Mansion. Shinobu brings them to her room and locks the door behind her.

"Gyomei, we can't tell Master what happened."

Giyu looks up at both of them. He rolls his eyes.

"What drama has stirred up this time Kocho?"

"Rengoku went to Takko village even after Master said no." Shinobu explains.

Giyu sighs.

"I see."

"We are all going to get in so much trouble if Master finds out we know. I think we should tell him." Gyomei says.

"It's too late. We already denied knowing anything when we were at the meeting. It's over for us." Shinobu explains.

"Let's just let Rengoku pay the price. We don't need to be involved." Giyu says.

"You're right." Shinobu says.

"I don't like this at all." Gyomei adds.

"It's fine. Let's just act like we never knew." Shinobu says.

Gyomei leaves. He's very uncomfortable with hiding things from the master.

Giyu looks at Shinobu.

"So you've known about this since he left?" Giyu asks.

"Yes, I have." Shinobu replies.

"I'm very disappointed in you, Kocho. I know you're trying to protect Riri and Rengoku, but your duties as a Hashira come first. Rengoku couldn't recognize that, but you should've been able to. You've jeopardized your own title by encouraging this."