Chapter 2

~ Mayfair, London, January 1814. ~

"Catherine," Alexander called through his wife's door as he barraged it with his fists. "You must let me in." He shouted, knowing the household was aware of his every move.

"Not tonight." His pious bride called back spitefully.

"I'm not trying to force down your door for that. I must discuss something of import with you." He growled fiercely.

"As per our agreement, which you promised faithfully to uphold, you cannot set foot in my bedroom unless I have not conceived this recent exchange, and then not before the time allotted for your carnal appointment. I am not a slatternly Lady, Alexander. I will not be forced to attend you more than Father Marsden advised I must." She rebuked.

Alexander Graeme Alford was a politician, Viscount of Kendal and heir apparent to a Marquess. He'd spent years training to be his father's heir and had anticipated the need to marry suitably to further the Alford linage. And so, he'd married Catherine this April since passed, a Spring wedding which had given his family a boost of spirits beyond the announced death of his youngest brother, Lachlan, the year prior.

And for the love of God himself, he knew too well exactly how many times they'd shared intimate relations. Including the dratted consummation of their vows. To date, he'd been permitted near the previously virginal bride a grand total of ten times.

Once per month.

His body ached with the need of a healthy thirty-two-year-old. He struggled to enforce it to settle into a routine like a sixty-two-year-old. He may have sowed his wild oats readily in his university years and from time to time enjoyed a dalliance with a widowed woman of good repute, but he'd remained faithful to his wife since he met and pursued her more than two years prior. Admittedly, she was young, some twelve years his junior, but she was achingly beautiful and held a sharp wit. He'd fallen madly in lust with her from the outset and hoped to fall in love with her following their vows.

She was, however, rigidly ensuring her access to heaven remained assured, it seemed, allowing him one monthly conjugal visitation for the provision of an heir, having explained her demands in detail and making it clear that upon provision of an heir and a spare, her days as a sexual being would end.

Unfortunately, this declaration was supplied after consummation, her virginity gifted, and their marriage vows sealed before crying her eyes out and sending him from her room. She'd whimpered and cried through every encounter since then, and he felt like a criminal for his repeated attempts to ensure her enjoyment whilst fulfilling his needs.

Months of said dalliances had led to nothing, and he remained utterly confounded.

Alexander was an attentive man. He was an attractive man. He was much the same as his brothers, for they shared common colouration, with chestnut brown hair and hazel eyes. All of them were tall with a slim build as their father had been, sporting broad shoulders and athletic builds also.

Alex had been informed more than enough times that he was handsome and felt assured that it was true, which meant the Alford brothers were all handsome, for he'd been capable of looking at his younger brothers and see himself in the stages of their development, although in deference to kinship, each held slight differences in the final dispensing of their features.

It was a complexing issue that she should not find him attractive at all.

"Catherine. Something very, very important has been recounted to me, and we need to discuss it immediately." He grovelled before the door once more to no avail. He waited several minutes before pounding on it again, turning the handle and putting his shoulder to the bulk of it and shouting. "Catherine!"