Chapter 21

~ Stockport, North West England, 22 October 1815. ~

"Your Grace, I can no longer share your carriage, so I suggest we part ways here. I will return to Kendal Manor with the defiant newlyweds, and you can tarry here." Genevieve suggested tartly.

Percy genuinely considered her request. She was ill-tempered these days and had been so toward him even more so during their travel. Days upon days of precision rudeness drilling at him without relief. He had enough to deal with since discovering the heirs to his Dukedom were homicidal maniacs. Even more, there was his worry that Oliver had evaded capture and skipped the country.

He just wished to arrive at Whinlatter House and settle in for the winter period without delay. His younger boys were set to return there at the end of the term, and by then, he hoped to have secured enough staff to provide a genuinely comfortable country season in the bitter cold.

He was insane, but he already knew that was a possibility.

Leaving London was a relief, and he was glad to be away from the hustle and social strictures of high society for a while.

But Lachlan Alford was a man with mercenary advantage, and Charlotte was in no danger while he remained with her; apart from what she was willing to lose, heaven help him. Percy did not need to rush headlong into that scenario, especially when Alex had so willingly and effortlessly assisted him. Charlotte's reputation was unsalvageable now in any case, and Percy wondered if the Alford boy knew that he was intent on petitioning a marriage between the pair now in any case.

But, he would not allow Genevieve Alford, master manipulator, the satisfaction of his capitulation. Alexander and Eleanor Alford wished for privacy. If Genevieve evacuated his coach, they'd be stuck with her for the remainder of the journey.

"The newlyweds have no desire to share their carriage, my dear. I will endure your uncompanionable rudeness another two days if I must, for their benefit." He announced, looking out the window as the coach edged into their chosen stop for the night.

Genevieve huffed. When she was young, she was a beautiful woman and continued to have a delicate handsome quality. There was no doubting his early attraction to her. More the pity that she did not see him, junior in years to Nathaniel, as more than a boy at the time.

"It is not that I wish to share their carriage, for they ignored my counsel." She announced with a huff. "It is more that I do not wish to share yours."

He ignored her barb.

"The truth is, Genevieve, they did not cave to your demands. They married as they planned to." He pointed out.

Genevieve tried to hide her smile, but he caught it, nonetheless. She was an odd woman. Next, she'd say it was her design to ensure they stuck to their mettle.

"Besides, you have another son, cavorting with my daughter at my northern estates. They remain my focus. I want to stop here as much as you do, which is to say, not at all. But the horses do need to rest." He informed her sternly.

"Pish." She countered, looking away.

"Gennie, I will be gone from your presence in two days to continue north. You can hate me forever afterwards. That is up to you. But I won't be sending your boy packing. He will return when he's ready to and at his earliest convenience." He proposed, thinking 'he will marry my daughter and return with her at their earliest convenience.'

Genevieve looked down her nose at him and nodded.

He knew she didn't hate him, but she was certainly trying her hardest to make him believe it. He hadn't called her by her childhood nickname since before her affair, and just now, she didn't call him out on it.