Chapter 9

~ Kendal Manor, Wednesday 23rd February 1814. ~

"She has fallen into a new fever, worse than the previous; I fear it is one she will not escape this time," Charlotte answered their query regarding her patient.

Gwendolyn Mondrook stood before her, her face filled with an abundance of concern for her offspring. The woman took every opportunity to endow Charlotte with generous supplies of concern whilst keeping the secret few knew.

Mr Stanton stood beside her, his face pinched in distress.

"The Lord and Lady are in the study. I will inform them." He offered, turning to leave.

Charlotte stepped forward and placed her hand softly on his arm to stop him from leaving.

"Mr Stanton, I will do it, although I would appreciate it if you would join me." She offered.

He nodded and indicated the path before him so that she may lead the way.

They walked the hallway together, across the landing and down the sweeping stairs, before turning sharply and gravitating towards the study.

Stanton knocked as per protocol and waited for a response.

"Come in." The muffled reply of the Dowager echoed.

Stanton opened the door and ushered Charlotte through, stepping through behind her and closing the door.

Alexander abruptly stood from his chair behind the desk, his face flushed and his eyes decidedly angry. The pair in the study were likely arguing again about something of import, for the Dowager's eyes were glassed over from crying.

"I apologise for this intrusion." Charlotte began before being abruptly cut off.

"Does she know?" Alex asked his mother pointedly, and his voice was livid.

"Please, Alexander, this is not the time nor place for such discussions." She replied, looking sideways at Mr Stanton.

Charlotte had no idea what was happening but feared it had something to do with her. Concern began building that her indiscretion in forcing a kiss upon Alex during his incapacity had been shared with the Dowager.

And Alex was angry at her reaction. Her heart rate began to pace.

"Mr Stanton. Could you offer us a moment of privacy?" He ordered.

Mr Stanton looked at Charlotte and held her gaze momentarily, apology written in his eyes before leaving and closing the door behind her.

"My Lord," Charlotte began, "I'm sorry to have interrupted you...." She tried once more, her voice holding the distinctive wobble of nerves.

"Did you know that Mr Theodore Mondrook is not your father?" He asked pointedly, his face blushing in annoyance.

She opened her mouth to begin, but the Dowager intervened.

"Alexander Alford... your approach is not appropriate." She scolded.

He turned to look at his mother but addressed Charlotte all the same.

"Miss Mondrook, are you aware of your patronage?" He asked instead, through gritted teeth.

Yes, she knew the truth. There were no lies within her family, but the truth would always be that Theodore Mondrook raised her and was her father for all intents and purposes.

"I know who sired me, my Lord." She offered, her eyes downcast, her body stiff and yet shaking. This was not what she came here for.

"Then it will come as no surprise that I have received a declaration from the Duke of Westbridge, claiming acknowledgement of a Charlotte Mondrook, born 14th February 1790 to a Miss Gwendoline Mondrook of Kendal. Attached is a writ, signed by the bloody Prince Regent himself, supporting this claim and asking Mr Theodore Mondrook to acknowledge Lord Braithwaite's rights to his child. And since it appears you are listed on parish records as being birthed by the very lady in this writ without naming the father, I am held accountable to recognise this claim. Especially since the acknowledgement, written by Westbridge, outlines a series of events and subsequent particulars to support his claim." He fumed, slamming his hands upon the desk