Wattpad Original

Chapter 78

Daniel's bright yellow door looked out of place beside its colorful neighbor. The dappled pattern had hints of purple among the deep pink and rich orange blotches.

In a way, the dappling reminded me of wispy clouds or looking skyward through rippling, patchy smoke. It was actually an interesting effect. Nothing I'd tolerate on my door, of course, but it was still interesting.

"Oh, wow!" Jess exclaimed. "That looks so cool!"

"I really like it," Nina said. "Very introspective, which is why I'm hoping Nicky can replicate it on the inside of my door tomorrow."

"I'll give it a shot," Nicky said dubiously. "The pattern might turn out slightly different."

"Even if it's similar, that'll still be better than the current olive green."

"Oh, that color. Yeesh." Nicky shuddered. "I think the guy who designed this building also picked out the color scheme. He might have benefitted from a few sessions with my counselors."

We gazed at the intricately dappled door, and Nina suggested, "Well, why don't we drop these plates off and go set up a game of archery?"

"I'm all for that," Nicky proclaimed as she turned around.

Luke and I waited outside the dining area while our companions dropped off their dishes, then continued to the archery range, where several people were already warming up for the upcoming game.

The tree branches waved as the wind blew with unpredictable gusts and lulls. That might make the game a challenge, even for Daniel and me, since everyone had decided our arrows needed longer ribbons to counter-balance our unfair advantage.

~

       Nicky frowned as Daniel managed another almost perfect shot despite the playful wind. "Okay, you clearly need a longer ribbon. A tent peg to tack it to the ground wouldn't go amiss either."

"We're on the same team," he reminded her. "So, you should be happy about my aim."

"I reserve the right to complain whenever anyone's aim is better than mine."

Daniel raised an eyebrow at the petite redhead. "Unless you're still in warm-up mode after all this time, you forgot to complain about almost everyone else here."

"Hey, I've got to pick my battles. I don't have enough energy or breath to spread my love around evenly. So consider it your lucky night."

"Uh-huh." Daniel shook his head and glanced at the western horizon, where the sun would be setting in about an hour.

I stepped forward for my turn, and even though I tried to compensate for the wind, I still didn't get a perfect shot, nor one as good as what Daniel had managed. I moved to the side to let the next shooter have their turn, although a few people had already departed, a clear sign the game was winding down.

Distant eerie calls echoed out of the forest to the north. Two of them, one right after another. My head whipped in that direction as I took a deep breath and released my own proximity call. That spooked most of those around me.

My instincts stirred, roused by the calls, and detesting how nearly thirty people stared at me with frequent glances to the north where the similar sounds had originated.

"I don't suppose that was someone you know?" Luke asked, watching me alertly.

"Actually, yes. That was Kelly and Travis, although last I heard, they were heading to the coast."

Luke relaxed at the sound of those names. He hadn't met them, but I had spoken about them in the past. I passed him my bow and arrows. The calls hadn't been particularly close, but they were much closer to Ironwind than I would have expected with these two.