Chapter Three

Two weeks.

Two weeks passed without Chief. It was the longest two weeks of her life, and while she lived in constant fear of his reappearance, her body began to heal from the ordeal.

The pesky doctor returned every day to visit with warm meals and promises of a better life outside of Chief, if only Sisi was willing to testify against him in court. It was rubbish, she mused, a small smile claiming her face. What judge in all of Lagos and the entire country would—could—sentence Chief? What Abigail failed to understand was Chief had money and money gave him immunity.

But the thought did not bother Sisi, for long ago, she had concluded that Chief did not deserve to go to prison. Prison was for criminals, murderers, and the likes—prison was too good for Chief. Chief was a disease and diseases couldn't be dealt with by imprisonment, diseases were killed.

She swallowed at the darkness of her thoughts. She had transformed over the years, her mind consistently plotting ways to end Chief's life, even if she hadn't yet decided what method to use to kill him; poison seemed too painless and quick, and so did a gun. What Chief deserved was a slow, painful, and agonizing death. She needed him to be in so much pain, he would beg to die, but death would not come. She needed to tear him apart limb by limb, to tear him down physically and emotionally like he had done to her.

She had been barely ten years old when Chief took her. He made her cry for death every day for another ten years until one day; she got the courage to take her own life. She had swallowed the home-made poison that afternoon; a mixture of detergent and rat poison, and while it had been enough to put her in serious pain, it hadn't been enough to kill her.

Chief had walked into her room to find her sprawled on the floor in agonizing pain. She would never forget the look on his face as he stared down at her.

"I see you have chosen death over me." He laughed. "Do you want to die, my Sisi?" He reached down and yanked her hair. Leaning down in order to look her in the eyes, he smiled at her and said, "You are going nowhere."

That was all she needed to decide that she was not leaving earth until she saw Chief in a casket.

A loud ruckus interrupted her thought. Gasping, she sat upright and turned to the door, her heart dropping with the realization that she was about to stare death in the face. She shifted slightly when the door slammed open against the wall.

Chief stood before her, his nostrils flaring.

..........

Abigail walked briskly down the hall, her heart racing. She had anticipated the day she would stand face to face with the famous Chief and had planned every word of the conversation they would have. But when the nurse barged into her office that afternoon to inform her of Chief's presence, everything in her body melted and she could barely rise from her seat.