eight

The sound of someone walking startles me. I look behind me to see Madeleine. Her long curly hair flows in the wind and she wears the same thing from ealier, except her hoodie was changed out for a black t-shirt.

I take a drag form my cigarette and sigh.

She sits next to me and says, "you don't have to tell me what happened. It's not my business to ask, all I want to know is if you're okay?"

I shrug, "I don't really know."

I lean my head onto her shoulder and she wraps her arms around me. She runs her hand through my hair and lets out a deep breath.

We sit in silence for a few minutes before I say, "my dad use to hit me. When I was a kid he'd beat me, not badly, but enough to resent him. He stopped after a while and today my mom found out he's been cheating."

I pause for a second and sigh.

"He's been cheating for over a year or something. He got home tried to apologize and I screamed at him. He tried to hit me so I hit him first. I blacked out and beat him really bad." A tear falls from my eye and I say, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. Blade, he deserved it. You stood up for yourself and your mom!" She moves and forces me to look at her, "you don't have to apologize."

I nod and something takes over me. I cup her cheeks and pull her into me. Our lips collide and her hands find their way into my hair.

She pulls away and we stare at each other breathless. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that-"

"Don't apologize. I- i didn't pull away."

I smile and say, "I um- good."

She giggles, "yeah."

"I might as well do this now." I sigh, "do you wanna go on a date with me? I was gonna ask you in a few days and I was going to plan it out and have it be nice and you know cool-"

"Yes. I would love to." She smiles as she cuts me off.

"Okay um- there's a restaurant I passed on the way here. Wanna go there instead of eating with our families?"

"That sounds nice."

I nod and we leave. Meeting her at the restaurant we walk in.

We eat while laugh the entire time.

"So you're saying when you were a kid you fell out of a tree?" I laugh at her.

She nods while laughing, "I did. I broke my arm and sprained my ankle. My brother Kane, he had to carry me home and I cried the entire time!"

"Why the hell were you in the tree?"

"I thought I could show off and climb it." She laughs and wipes her eyes, "it was so funny, but holy fuck did it hurt."

"Well no shit. You broke your arm!" I laugh as I smack my forehead.

"What about you? What was something stupid you did as a kid?"

"Once I thought I was superman and I jumped down a flight of stairs."

"Wh- why? Who told you that it was okay to do that?" She laughs harder than before.

"Me. I told myself I was superman and I did it twice!" I shake my head laughing at myself.

"You're an idiot Blade!" She laughs.

"I know."

We laugh and finish eating eating heading back home. By the time we get back it's dark out and probably almost nine something. "Do you want to hang out for a little before you go home home?" I ask her.

"Sure Yeah. Your house or mine?"

"Your's."

We head inside and her mom sits at the kitchen table with her laptop in front of her.

"Hey kids. You missed dinner."

"Yeah sorry, we went to Sand Harbor for a little while and got dinner."

She nods, "okay."

We go upstairs and sit in her bed watching Supernatural. Madeleine lays her head on my chest as we lay under the blankets. I comb my fingers through her hair softly and my eyes feel heavy.

"Hey Madeleine?" I whisper softly.

"Hm?" She hums quietly.

"Do you want me to go soon?"

She shakes her head, "no. Stay with me."

"Okay."

I wake up to her school alarm blaring. She shuts it off and shoot up. Looking at me she smiles, "hmmoring."

"Morning."

I stretch and kiss her cheek, "I'll see you at school or do you want to ride with me?"

"Yeah. I'll ride with you."

I nod before leaving. Everyone was still asleep and her dad was already gone for work, so I was able to leave without being interrogated.

Getting back to my house I see my dad sleeping on the the couch. His face caked in dry blood, my knuckles were still red too. I go upstairs and take a quick shower. I get dressed in black ripped jeans, a grey t-shirt and my leather jacket. I pull my combat boots on and run my hair through my hair. I pull it into a half up man bun thing.

Soon I head outside and I see Madeleine coming out too. She wears a very long oversized longsleve with a sick ass smiley face on it, fishnets under it and a pair of black vans on her feet. Her hair is big and sort of messy and her make up is very dark, but looks good.

"You look amazing," I smile at her.

"Thank you, you don't look so bad yourself."

I roll my eyes, "thanks."

She giggles and I hand her my helmet, I have an extra one in the house that i brought with me today. I put it on and climb into the bike. I hold her hand in order to help her on.

Driving to school was quick, I went faster than i did the last time she was on the bike.