CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

I blink at her, certain she's playing with me

I blink at her, certain she's playing with me. "Um... everyone has heard of Atlantis. But... but it's a mythical sunken island. It's not real..." I trail off uncertainly.

Chloe lets out a sharp laugh. "Oh, it is most certainly real."

I fold my arms across my chest skeptically and wait for her to continue.

"It's real, but it's not an island or whatever. It's a planet." She waves her hand dismissively and rolls her eyes again. "Atlantis did not sink into the sea. All those divers are just wasting their time on that myth. Atlantis still exists... It's just in another dimension."

"Oh." Because of course it is. Because that's more believable than a sunken island.

Chloe leans toward me. "Fifty thousand years ago, give or take, Atlantis came into contact with Earth. There's a lot of controversy about how, exactly, this happened, but it happened. Portals, which we call stargates, spontaneously appeared on both Atlantis and Earth, and the first Atlantean pioneers crossed over. Earth had its own magick in those times, but magick changed and evolved on both worlds once they were connected."

My brain refuses to accept this alternate version of history. I wasn't the best student, but I do remember what I learned in high school. "Uh... weren't we all still cave people that long ago?"

"Absolutely not!" Chloe looks like she's offended by my suggestion. "Humans had quite an advanced culture when the Atlanteans arrived. But when Atlanteans came here, and when Atlantean magick merged with Earth's magick, it did change life here. It influenced the evolution of new magickal beings, like all the Shifter species."

"Shifter?"

"Humans capable of magickally shifting into something else... such as the sirens."

I go still, trying to banish Amanda's cold, dead eyes from my mind.

"Atlanteans also bred with humans. They married and had children."

I just blink at her stupidly, not knowing what to say. 'Cause it's all ridiculous.

"Unfortunately," she continues, "despite centuries of peace and prosperity on both planets, the magick transfer began to cause terrible natural disasters on Earth and on Atlantis. We had to close the stargates to avoid an extinction event."

"We?" I whisper, suddenly getting where the story is going.

"The pure-blooded Atlanteans came up with a plan to build a magickal shield on Earth that would protect both realms and stop the flow of magick between them. Before they completed it, they retreated back to Atlantis. But most half-human, half-Atlanteans stayed behind. We vowed to maintain and guard the shield for eternity, using our magickal powers to protect Earth and Atlantis. And that's what we do. That's what the Academy teaches us how to do."

"Sooooo... You're telling me that my... our... ancestors are from..." I can't even freakin' say it.

Chloe sighs like I'm stupid. "Yes, Lyric. From Atlantis. You have both human and Atlantean blood. That's why you can access magick so easily... You're an Atlantean."