CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the darkened foyer

It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the darkened foyer. I glance up, momentarily confused, because I'm beneath a Redwood canopy. Oh, yeah, 'cause the roof's a clear dome.

It's wide open and airy, and several floors of walkways are visible from here. A few people on the fourth floor have gathered against the wood-carved railings and are staring down toward me. Or at me. I don't know. I can't make out their expressions.

The floors are dark polished wood, but at the center of the foyer, The Atlantis Society's symbol has been etched into a large stone tile. Metatron's Cube. That's what Chloe had said it was.

I press my lips together to banish a grin and look around for the orientation guides.

A young black man and a pale woman with white-blond hair are standing behind a metal and glass table that's covered in papers. They've got strange robes on, and they're both staring at me with weird, judgy expressions...

Is it my clothes? Probably. I'm in tight, ripped jeans, a plaid shirt, and my calf-high farm boots. I have to fight the urge to run away. I should've searched the beach house harder for something else, anything else, to wear today.

Oh, no. What if everyone else has those robes on too? Or a uniform? Does this school have uniforms?

"Are you here for orientation?" The man exchanges an incredulous look with the woman.

I nod, and my cheeks warm as I force myself to walk over to them. The nameplates on the table in front of them say "Jax" and "Arielle." Arielle's wearing a knee-length brown dress, brown flats, and a thin emerald-green hooded robe. Jax is wearing a green-blue dress shirt with dark gray slacks and the same robe, only it's in a deep turquoise shade. And they've each got two pins on. Both are wearing a bronze, not silver, Metatron's Cube pin. Underneath that, they both have a second bronze pin featuring two different geometric symbols that I don't recognize.

Arielle shuffles through the papers and shiny pamphlets in front of her and hands me a thick stack of them. "Sorry. We're all out of folders. Just follow the corridor straight down to the double doors."

"Better hurry up." Jax gives me a disapproving look. "You were instructed to arrive a half hour early. Everyone will already be seated."

I dart a glance at Arielle, but she's not looking at my face anymore. She's too busy staring at my dirty boots like they're equal parts fascinating and disgusting.

"Thanks," I mumble, clutching the papers to my chest, and I high-tail it outta there in the direction Arielle said to go.

Of course I'm gonna be late on my first day! I'm walking as fast as I can, trying not to panic and break into a run.

Once I exit the enormous foyer, I enter a wide corridor. The wood flooring stays the same, but the glass dome roof has been replaced by a ceiling lined with carved wooden tiles. The deep red walls are broken only by an occasional wooden door with bronze numbers on it.