CHAPTER SEVEN

The girls form a circle around me, sharks ready for the kill.

Deep breaths.

"Hey, Lyric!" Vivian links her thin arm through mine like we actually are besties.

Didn't she see what I did? I got arrested right in front of her...

"Hey," I say weakly, trying not to make eye contact with anyone else. I focus on Vivian's glasses and hope I'm not too red.

"Did you really resonate with Aether and use it?" A blond girl asks in a hushed tone.

Most of them are staring at me with wide eyes, looking impressed, but a few of them look skeptical.

"Um..." I lick my lips. "Yeah?"

There are a few gasps. Crap, I shouldn't have admitted that. Chloe told me to keep quiet.

"How did it feel?" one girl asks.

"How are you still alive?"

"Did you blow all the windows out of the main building?"

"Seriously, how'd you survive?" A tall girl leans closer.

Too close. I try to edge away.

"No one uses Aether and survives." One of the skeptical girls crosses her arms over her chest and narrows her eyes.

They all stop talking, just staring at me, waiting for my response.

"Um—I can't... I'm not supposed to talk about that stuff right now." My voice comes out raspy 'cause my throat's so tight.

"Why not?" the tall girl asks.

"Yeah, c'mon—what happened?"

"I just—I really can't, and, and—"

"Maybe later then!" Vivian chirps up, saving me. "I'm sure she'll tell us all about it later, right?"

I give her a slight nod, hoping she can feel my gratitude.

"Come on guys." Vivian claps her hands. "Let's not be late!"

They all hesitate, but then they turn and keep walking. All except Vivian, who re-links her arm through mine.

One of the girls, the blond one, looks back wistfully, like she's got more questions.

What is happening?

I feel stuck to the ground, and Vivian tugs at my arm to get me walking again, then casually lets go of me. Thank God. I'm no good with the touchy-feely stuff girls do with their friends.

Vivian and I walk a little more slowly than the others, and soon they disappear around the bend ahead of us.

"Thanks." I say awkwardly. "I just... I can't talk about that stuff, and—"

"No problem." Vivian waves a hand. "But... is it true...?" She lowers her voice. "...that you're Undocumented?" She cocks her head to the side to watch my face.

"Um... Yeah."

"You had me thinkin' you were a Cerberus kid. From Gaia."

I can't read her expression, but I feel a twinge of guilt. I did lead her on like that.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know what to say. I was just so overwhelmed. I really don't know anything about this world..."

"It's okay!" She flashes me a smile, perking up. "I can show you the ropes."

"Ugh, ropes." I mutter.

"Huh?"

"Nothing, just, you know, those rope bridges. Whew! Super high off the ground."