26

Chevy stands beside the couch, his head resting on the arm beside his mom's as she sleeps. He just stands watching her, his hands at his sides. Edward walks in and freezes. "Hey little man." He says softly.

Chev lifts his head and looks up for a moment before he sets it back down. "Hi." He says sadly.

Edward gently picks him up, Chevy beginning to fuss and squirm. "No no, let momma rest." He says gently, heading to Chevs bedroom. He sets the tot on the edge of the little bed and sits opposite him. "I know things aren't normal right now buddy and I'm so sorry." He mutters.

Chev chews his fingers anxiously. "Mommy sad." He whispers around them. "Buggy gone. Daddy gone." He sniffles, his eyes watering.

Edward instantly pulls him into a hug as the infant begins to cry. "Shh buddy, I'm sorry." He whispers, rocking. "Daddy's gonna be back soon okay? And Mommy's gonna be okay. You just need to give her lots and lots of cuddles, okay?"

Cheveyo nods and rubs the tears away as he hiccups. "Ots cuddles." He takes a deep breath. "Daddy be back."

Edward strokes his cheek. "Exactly, clever guy. Shall we play cars?" He offers.

"Me wello car." He sniffles, running to his car box.

Edward smiles small, hearing a car pull up. He assumes its Bella or Charlie, but his surprised as someone's thoughts address him.

Edward? Keep Chevy upstairs. It's Jacob.

Jake and James walk into the house, James hesitating a little. He looks around, noticing the top of Noras head on the arm of the couch and that's all it takes for him to rush over. He kneels beside the couch and reaches over, stroking her hair gently. "Nora?" He whispers.

His heart shatters as he realises what he's caused, the pain he's caused.

Her eyes open a little and she instantly closes them again. "You're not here..." she whispers weakly. "I'm dreaming again." She muses.

James leans down and kisses her head, his hand stroking her cheek. "I'm here darling. I'm so sorry."

She slowly opens her eyes again, frowning as she looks at him. "S-sorry?" She whispers.

Bucks face is full of pain. "I wasn't at the hospital.... and I never planned on coming back." He admits, clearing throat in a bid to hide his shaky voice.

Nora slowly sits up, frowning deeply. "You did leave me... after you prom-promised you never would." She whispers as she tears.

"I know. And I'm so sorry. I thought it was best for the both of us but in reality it was the worst thing that could've happened." He sniffs. "I hurt you even though I never wanted to be another person to cause you pain." He covers his mouth to stop a sob.

Nora sits staring at him in shock. "You... weren't coming back. Why bother now." She says, her voice a bit harder.

"Because of Jacob. He helped me realise what a fucking moron I am." He tries to laugh, sniffing again as he clears his throat.

Nora looks over at Jacob who lean in the doorway with crossed arms. He smiles small. "I told you when we first met that I'd always fight your corner. You've always done what's best for others and I wanted to return the favour." He says gently.

Nora looks back at James. "That... doesn't forgive it." She whispers.

"It doesn't you're right." James nods quickly. "But I couldn't take it any longer anyway. If Jacob hadn't ruined that meeting, I'd have ruined it myself and called you." He admits.

"I can't trust you." She tears. "I always knew I'd take it back."

"Nora, you can trust me." He shakes his head. "I tried to rationalise it all in my head and I was being selfish. I couldn't handle this, I was afraid. I didn't consider you'd also be afraid. You're always so good at hiding it."