15.

Mahira Khan.

My breathing hitches the moment he entered the room, I can feel the air around me shift. When I look at the wall clock, my brows furrow in confusion because he returned very late today. He as usual comes out of the washroom after a precise twenty minutes, in a black t-shirt and blue joggers fitting his frame to perfection. I almost forgot all of the day's worries just by looking at him.

I quickly avert my eyes back to the book in my hand which I was obviously not reading. He throws his towel on the couch and begins taking steps in my direction.

I look up startled when he snatches the book from my hand and before I can process more, he is already getting comfortable on the bed laying down in my lap. My insides quiver in anticipation of what's next.

"When did you learn to read a book upside down?"

"I what? " I could only gasp in surprise and squirm in embarrassment.

"Yeah. You were reading it upside down just now. Or wait, were you even reading it? " His fingers take hold of the locks that were falling on my face and begin twisting them.

Breathe Mahira. Not the end of the world. Where did he learn to leave people breathless?

Gosh! I have it bad. I can't believe I fell for this man.

I inhale his sandalwood one last time before pushing him away from my lap and my life. I get up from the bed, controlling the dam of tears ready to break open. "What are you doing Mohsin? This is not a real marriage, remember? "

I feel him getting up behind me as he stands close, his hand goes around my stomach from behind which closes the remaining distance between us.

Why does he have to be touchy now of all times? It is already difficult for me to control myself as it is.

"Not real? Kyun? Kya galat aayatein padhi thi Kazi ne? Yaa tumhari razamandi nahin thi? " He fucking whispered this seductively in my ears, his lips touching my earlobe.

Thi. Razamandi thi. Ye Nikaah bhi sacha hai aur hamara rishta bhi. Tum har maine mein shohar ho mere.

" Nai. I never accepted this union. I never will. You were just a sloppy second. I only ever loved Amir and that's the real truth." I whisper back, only my voice had a defeated end to it as tears trickle down my eyes.

His hold tightens more as I utter those malicious words to the extent that it began hurting. I am sure his fingers have left a mark by now. Yet I don't even feel the physical pain. I can feel him gritting his teeth at the mention of Amir.

"What had I told you about taking his name? You never listen, do you? " The coldness in his voice stabs my heart more than anything, it is horryfingly similar to how he spoke when we first met at my house before the reception.

He withdraws his hand from my stomach, turning me around and for the first time I don't find his eyes empty. There is pain, agonizing pain.

"Why are you doing this? If it is about yesterday, then I didn't know how to answer your question okay! The change did not happen overnight. I had always accepted this Nikaah, taken you for my wife and included you in my prayers as my shareek-e-hayat. I was waiting, for you to let go of this revenge plan. So you could turn a new leaf and we could start over." His words are a balm to my aching heart.

He prayed for me. He accepted me the very first day. I love you Mohsin, there is no other way to describe the fluttering of my heart at your confession. But it is too late now. And I can't blame anyone but my cursed self for this downfall.