Chapter Six

What I found interesting is that it's human nature to have a family.

-Penelope Spheeris

//

Aiya tickled Naruto's belly and in response he let out a playful growl, taking an equally playful swipe at her with his little claws.

Aiya prevailed in the end, pinning him beneath her and he nipped her throat gently to admit defeat and end the game. He nuzzled her, and they curled up together. It was beginning to get dark but Naruto wasn't worried.

They were mostly safe in the backyard of the orphanage and it was the warmer part of the year. Naruto had spent more than one night curled up outside, under a tree with Aiya. Sometimes it was nice to be outside, under the blanket of stars and the light of the moon.

"Aiya-chan?" Naruto asked suddenly.

"What is it pupper?" She asked, smiling warmly.

"Am I gonna go ta the 'cademy?"

"Who told you 'bout da academy?" she demanded, and Naruto could smell her panic.

He blinked at her in confusion. "Lotsa people talk 'bout it," he explained. It was that ninja school that some of the kids, usually with the funny knives, went to.

He watched worriedly as the thick perfume of Aiya's panic grew and her breathing thinned.

"I won' talk 'bout the 'cademy no more," he promised, Aiya was upset and he didn't want Aiya to be upset.

And then he's hit with the overwhelming sent of grief and it hits him.

"The 'cademy makes you sad," he murmured softly and whined, leaning into her.

"Yeh," she admitted, "really does sometimes. But ya know what doesn't? You, pupper. And Toshiko-obaasan isn't too bad."

Naruto wrinkled his nose. "Smells like cats," he complained and Aiya laughed at his description of the orphanage's matron.

"Aiya-chan," he murmured, pressing into her soft belly, "I love you."

"Oh puppy," she whispered, almost as though she was about to cry, "I love you too," she sniffled, "I wish I could protect you forever."

//

Today, Naruto was gonna give Aiya her gift.

At the start of the previous month he'd requested of the orphanage matron Toshiko that, instead of his usual allowance, he be given thread, ribbons and beads.

He had then spent what little spare time he had sewing his gift for Aiya – it may not have been her nameday but Naruto couldn't help but want to make some sort of gesture to show Aiya he appreciated her.

He wanted to show Aiya that she was loved.

Naruto had found a a pretty sea-foam green dress and deep blue skirt made of a velvety material amongst the donated clothes. He took the green dress in at the waist, trimming the neckline to a more flattering cut before cutting the skirt up and using the fabric to sew velvet sunflowers which he attached along the neckline of the green dress. With a white thread, he then embroidered curling vines across hems of the dress.

It was safe to say that he was very happy with the results.

Toshiko, the only one to see the finished project before Naruto had wrapped it in brown paper that the matron generously provided, had been very impressed by his handiwork. She asked if she could borrow them for a day, to show a friend, and Naruto had hesitantly agreed, nervous but trusting that Toshiko-obbaasan would do no harm to the dress– and she hadn't, though she had returned with a very intresting look on her face.