Chapter 11: The Truth Hurts

Mr. Harris's etiquette review lessons were frustrating for several reasons. The least of which, being the rotund man, ran a tight ship. Sometimes too tight. The classes began with him orating, "The dinner is the center of the conversation, consideration, and the gauge for measuring the family's wellbeing. Good manners are the outward expression of our inward character, shining like the noon-day sun. It is kindness. Etiquette is behaving yourself more superior than necessary."

Before knowing what had happened, he smacked Mary's hand away from the water goblet. She thought her manners were impeccable, being royalty. According to Harris, they are "Underdeveloped and a tad naive." Once the man had determined this flaw, a grueling regime involving manners, charm, and character development began. At one point, he told Mary, "You lack the art of the first impression. Your first impression is crying out for help. But never fear, for Harris is here. By the time you leave for the coronation, you will have embraced your own uniqueness. You will have stronger confidence, better eye contact, the ability to remember names, greater poise, better posture, and much more."

After this soliloquy, Harris took his etiquette cane (as he calls it) and rapped it on the floor. His sharp eyes took in everything the girls did, leaving nothing to chance with pursed lips as a hand ran over his face. Harris scolded, "No, no, no. Head up, Duchess. And for the hundredth time, do not slouch, Lady Dot."

This was just the beginning. The two ladies were given a list of items to practice at home. Mary found practice challenging with Charles, needing to play off him practicing introductions. All her husband has to do is act like he doesn't know her. The two will greet, and she will take it from there. Simple, really, except it was not.

When the Duchess held her hand out, the Duke would lock eyes with her, kiss the proffered hand, and run his fingers up her arm sensually. It left the feeling of tingles up and down her body setting a fire in her belly. And when she practiced eye contact and introduced herself to him, he gave her his perfected sultry, Charles Brandon look. Then he would tell her ridiculous seductive things like, "I put a tear in the ocean. When you find it, I'll stop loving you," or "You deserve the world, and I realize I cannot give that to you. So I'll give you the next best thing— my world," and her personal favorite...

With an extended hand in her direction, the Duke would say, "Mind holding this while I go for a walk?"

Mary crossed her arms in disapproval and stared him down. Displeased, she told him, "It's impossible to study with you, you roguish charmer." Even though the words left her mouth in chastisement, she ended up taking a stroll with him anyway--- holding his hand as they went.

On Friday, Harris gave a weekend assignment to be completed for Monday. It is things like this that make his lessons uncomfortable for the Duchess. It forces her to take long looks at herself and deal with scars, which are things best kept hidden.

The stodgy butler had scrutinized the Duchess with a stern look. "You must list five positive qualities you like about yourself and five activities you can do well," the proud man explained.

This statement gave Mary fits. She is hard-pressed to list two things she likes about herself, much less five. The assignment would trouble her, and it did because what you don't tell someone is just as exhausting as things you did speak.

Saturday saw Mary sit in the solitude of the drawing room, with only parchment, quill, and sunlight for company. She tried to make a list of things as requested. "OK, five positive qualities. You can do this, Mary. There have to be a few things you like about yourself."

Her Grace tried to give herself a pep talk. It didn't work. So she sat there staring out the large window overlooking the grounds. The first thing that came to her mind was that she is... intelligent. Picking up the quill and wrote it down. Being alone with her feelings is the worst place to be. There's nowhere to hide. It's all there darting about in her mind. The only thing she can do is bear it and not pretend.