Chapter 39: Calculations

Having taken care of her husband, and sending him to bed for a lie-down, Mary readied herself. She took her golden cape and draped it around her taut shoulders, fixed her jewelry, and exited the apartments in quiet strength. Sir William and only a few of her guards had been selected for this mission. On the way out to the carriage, Sir William whispered "Let it be known I do not like this. I do not like this one bit and when the Duke finds out, which you know he will, he will not like it either."

Smoothing her skirt, the Grand Duchess told him "I know you don't like it. I'm not asking you to. What I am asking is for you to go with me. If you cannot do that, then you can stay here with the others."

Grumbling, William Compton obliged the request. He would be a fool not to because then he'd run the risk of his friend's ire, for not guarding his Lady Wife as is his sworn duty. So once the Duchess was put into the carriage, he rode beside it on his horse. 

On the way to the secret location, Mary cannot help but wonder if she's doing the right thing. She knows Sir William is right. Once Charles finds out he'll be fit to be tied, though she must do this. Even if she's rebuffed and spat on, this act of kindness matters to her. It won't be wasted. Trying not to think anymore about it, she stared out the window. In her mind, she went over everything she wanted to say.

As the short ride ended, Mary composed herself and disembarked. Looking around the despicable place, she said silent prayers for all the equally contemptible souls who are lodged there. And also for those who have been condemned that are entirely innocent. All in all, The Tower gives her the chills. 

The guards surrounded her on the walk to the entrance. They went in front and behind her, as she walked up the stairs to the royal apartments, where the disgraced Queen resides. Sir William accompanied her into the spartan quarters. 

No curtsies were given, only cold stares— the looks of adversaries. Lady Anne broke the suspense and spoke first. "Have you come to gloat Lady Mary or should I say, Princess?" She is devoid of any extravagance, looking rather bland instead. Her face is pale and worn. If one looks close enough her eyes give away that she has been crying. 

Mary almost feels sorry for the woman, almost. But the hours she, herself, has spent crying over her husband's ambush, her mother's removal of title and divorce, her own bastardization and banishment make any remorse disappear. Rather she is here for one purpose. "I am not here to take pleasure in your censure and conviction. My motivation is of a different nature, one of a mother."

There is no language that encompasses all others like that of motherhood. A mother's love for her child is like nothing else. It knows no law, no pity, no bounds. It hopes all things and crushes everything that stands in its way. It is a force of nature and a blessing. It turns enemies into allies.

Mary stood with her back straight, ever-perfect posture, and eyes sharp (along with her mind). "The only reason I am here is on behalf of my sister. As a small mercy, I am here to speak to you mother to mother. I wanted you to know Elizabeth has been entrusted into the care of Charles and me." It was then she heard Anne's gasping sob leave her mouth. Her Ladyship thinks this is a good sign, although one can never be too sure with this woman. She may altogether hate the arrangement and weeps because of it. 

She boldly continued to speak. "I wanted you to know that my sister will be treated as a member of our family. She will have all the benefits as our own children and be raised as such. When she is older Charles and I will tell her the truth. I know there is no love lost between the two of us, but even so, she is innocent in all of this. I only care for you to know so that hopefully it gives you a small measure of peace before meeting your fate." Mary's eyes took in the overwrought woman who had collapsed to the floor in tears.