Part 8

The greenhouse was dark and chilly, but Sierra enjoyed the calm and quiet of the empty garden. The events of the day had given her a burst of energy she couldn't safely let out within the walls of the castle. The gardens were the perfect place for it, she could just give it all out to the plants and the flowers and focus on her recovery undisturbed. Leto had given her way too much potion, and although it did manage to restart her heart and allow the regenerating ice to cleanse her system from the poison, she still suffered from the overdose of strong medicine that was causing her incessant pain.

Leto found her sitting at the fountain, her hands tightly gripping at the cold grey stone, her head bent down, her eyes closed shut, pain written all over her face. He approached her slowly, unsure if she was aware of his presence, wondering if his accusations had made her physically sick.

"Do you have more questions about my father's plan to have me killed?"

She spoke up as he came to a stop before her, not moving an inch as if her pain had paralyzed her. He clenched his jaw as he held back his frustration. He had offended her, and he knew it, but he needed to be certain, he needed to know if Caladan still stood a chance. He sat next to her, leaning over as he rested his elbows on his thighs.

"Are you in pain?"

"My stomach is on fire," she replied slowly, quietly.

"I gave you too much potion, didn't I?"

"Don't worry about it, it'll pass."

"I..." he paused. "I didn't know what to do."

"You saved my life."

"You died. In my arms."

His tone startled her. She opened her eyes as she heard the heartache in his voice. She hadn't realized he had witnessed her death. She hadn't realized it had affected him so. She looked up at her husband and saw the sorrow in his gaze as the tormenting memory replayed in his head.

"You did everything you could."

"I couldn't do enough. I couldn't protect you. I couldn't protect Paul. I failed you today."

"You did fail me today," she agreed, and he looked down in shame as he accepted the blame, "but not in the way you think."

He frowned, puzzled by her comments, until he realized she wasn't talking about her death. As if the implied insult to her father had pained her more than her own demise.

"I need to know how to protect my people, my House. I can't do that if I don't know who my enemy is."

"My father is not your enemy," she stated, her anger returning to meet her pain.

"I need you to really think about this..."

"Leto..."

"No, Sierra. I need you to really think about it. Is he capable? Would he even entertain the idea? Because our other suspicion is Dr. Yueh and if you can look me in the eyes and promise me your father could never, ever, do this, I will have him arrested and tortured until he gives us answers he may not have."

She gave him a confused look.

"Why Dr. Yueh?"

"He was in a position to do it. All of it. I need you to be sure, Sierra."

She tilted her head to the side, winced at the pain traveling from her liver to her stomach and back, and waited for it to fade away before she managed to look back at her husband once more and lock her eyes with his.

"We are a proud people, Leto. We are strong and loyal. That is our honor. The Harkonnens have none. The Emperor has none. They work in the shadows to better their own interest, they don't care about anyone else. My father meant every word he said to you. He respects you. And I know he despises them. Their own people hate them. There is no honor in treating with people like that. My father wants to be part of the Great Houses, yes, but he wants to be respected like you are. The Harkonnens are known for their evil ways. My father is a smart man, he knows not to trust the Emperor's word. But he also knows to trust yours. Because you are House Atreides. And there is no faith that you betray. And the least you could do is have faith in us in return."