09 ❥MAF

Our last day of tryouts was finally here

Our last day of tryouts was finally here. After today, we would wait a weekend to find out if we made the team or not.

"Should I be worried about you, Bee?" Val asked me.

"Why should you be worried?"

"Because you've stopped coming to the cafeteria altogether. Who said something to you?"

Her question catches me off guard, but I don't want to show it. "Nobody said anything to me. I just like studying in the library now. Plus, if I make the squad, I'm going to have to find some extra time to study anyway. Especially with my shifts at the coffee shop."

She narrows her eyes at me as she studies me. She finally looks convinced after a moment. "And you would tell me if something's bothering you, right?"

"I appreciate how much you worry for me, you know? But it's really not necessary. I'm okay, Val." I add a smile for good measure. She lets out a small huff but she doesn't push it anyway.

"Come on," She takes my hand and leads me out of the gym. We pull off to the side where nobody else is and she squats down low and ties my shoe for me.

"Oh," I say. "I didn't even notice. Thanks."

"Yeah, I'm going to have to teach you soon. How did you make it this far without ever learning how to tie your shoes?"

"I've only ever used velcros as a kid and then slip-on shoes before these ones. Nobody had the time to teach me," I shrug.

She pulls my other foot up on her leg so she can tie it more comfortably. This one was already tied, but she undoes it and reties them for better security.

The action causes me to stumble slightly and I reach my hand out to steady myself on the wall as she continues to tie. A door slams at the end of the hall.

Roman is coming out of the boys locker room and he's heading towards the gym now. He sees us before he goes in, his eyes catching mine for a moment. He looks down at Valentina tying my shoes and looks back at me. That's all it was, just a paused glance before he continues down to the gym.

"We're hanging out this weekend by the way," Val says as she picks herself back up. She hadn't even noticed that Roman just passed by. "Wanna come over to mine?"

I give her a happy nod in response, and we go back to the gym for our last day of tryouts.

>><<>><<>><<>><<

Before we made it to Valentina's house that weekend, she asked if it was okay that I drove her to her cousins' shop to pick up her car that Julius had been working on all morning.

I didn't mind, especially because my engine light was on and I didn't know why. Maybe Julius could check it out if he wasn't too busy.

"Hey, Briar!" Julius greets us when he sees us walking through the garage. He has a few customers around and he had just pulled his head from an engine. "I haven't seen you around in a while."