26✧Movie Night

Double update!! Please make sure you have read chapter 25 just before this! (: enjoy <3

The sound of the basketball net swishing with my shot is drowned out by the noise of the final buzzer

The sound of the basketball net swishing with my shot is drowned out by the noise of the final buzzer. Cheers and shouts erupted across the gym. We won our second game of the season.

Briar wasn't here to see it.

Valentina told me she went home with a migraine. That's why she wasn't in class today either. The way she didn't tell me this fact herself bothered me more than it should have.

Apparently, Val expected her to be at the game but she hadn't shown up tonight either. I had sent her a message before the game, asking where she was, but she hadn't replied all night.

I sat on the bench while everyone celebrated our win and scrolled to the top of our messages. Briar had sent me her address once when we had planned to study at her house but our plans had switched up at the last minute and I hadn't needed it.

I wondered if I needed it tonight.

My thoughts were cut short as Myles rammed into my side on the bench. "Fucking hell man," he greeted. "Those were the cleanest three-pointers I've seen on this team."

"Don't let him hear you," I nodded my head towards Axel Monroe. The fucker was supposed to be playing on my team but I felt the tension. He wasn't just competing against the other team tonight. As good as he was at hiding it, he was somehow competing with me.

"Ah," Myles waves it off. "He just likes being the center of attention is all. He'll get over it."

I gave a lame grunt in response, my thoughts already moving on from the subject. Myles spoke again. "You coming to Tyler's party tonight? Someone always throws one after these games. Win or lose"

"Parties aren't really my scene."

"Anywhere can be your scene with me at your side, buddy. We could make a pretty boy duo. Here, look at this." Myles whips out his phone and snaps a selfie quicker than I have time to process. "See," he says, showing the photo he just took of the two of us. "Powerful shit."

A snort escapes me before I roll my eyes and shove him away. "Yeah, you have fun. Catch you later." I ignore the rest of Myles's protests as I walk away, leaving behind the celebration of another game won.

>><<>><<>><<>><<

I stopped by my house to shower and change out of my sweaty jersey.

I really don't know what I'm doing here now. I used her address after all and now I'm standing outside her door, waiting for a response from the doorbell I just rang.

I wait a couple of moments before I decide to ring it a second time. Her car was outside, she had to be home.

It takes a good minute on the second bell before I hear a lock turn and Briar is on the other side of the door, standing in a sweatshirt and pajama shorts. She looks confused as she rubs her sleepy eyes.