17✧Knowing Smirks

"Sup, Roman," Myles greets during practice meetup

I jerk my head up in greeting. Myles was annoying at first and I think he still is, he's just been a little more tolerable these days.

"You know Roman, you're like the strong silent type. How's your game with the ladies?"

I scrunch my face in disgust. "I don't have game."

"Mhm, Mhm. Tell that to the small group of girls behind you practically drooling."

I turned around to see if what he said was true. They duck their heads giggling and start whispering to each other like it wasn't the most obvious thing in the world. There is nothing more opposite of my type than girls who communicate through gossip and giggling. Jesus.

I look back to Myles and shrug a shoulder at him. "They look into you too," I observe.

Myles gives a proud smile at that. "Oh, I know. Doesn't matter though. I got eyes for one and one only, and she's not one of those girls." He shifts his gaze over to someone else.

I tell myself I don't care, but I also know that this fucker has a crush on Valentina. I don't have to look over my shoulder to see he's staring at her right now. "Don't rant to me about your little crush."

"Aw come on, Roman. This could be a real bonding moment for us."

"Fuck you and your bonding moment. Pass the ball already."

Myles laughs despite my comment and tosses the ball my way. We practice our shots together and Coach does his job as he guides us through drills.

I catch myself with my eyes wandering over to the cheerleading squad, just to see what Briar is up to. I shake my head at the thought and bring my focus back to my own practice. I don't need any distractions.

Our water break happened to have lined up with the girls as they dispersed into their little friend groups. I look over just in time as she sees me and gives me that welcoming smile of hers. Val is momentarily distracted by some other girl. I watch Briar as she makes her way over to me.

"Hi, Roman," she greets me as she sits down beside me against a wall. It had become a habit of Briar's to sit next to me wherever we were. Whether it was in class, during lunch in the library, or now during our simultaneous water breaks.

"Hey," I greet back as her shoulder brushes up against mine when she settles.

"Did you decide where you want to meet up for our project later? I'm picking up a few shifts at work this week but we can start next week." It had been two days since we last worked on it in class.

"That's fine. We can study at mine," I tell her and she nods in acknowledgment. It goes quiet for a moment and I think Briar is lost in her own thoughts. She mindlessly fiddles with the lining of her shorts.