Old Love

Lillian tended to Geralt's wounds with all her love and care, and Yennefer couldn't help but be afraid of her. How could she have so much power?! She made two human beings explode, and she was still the old Lillian.

"I do not know whatever she is; she is something not from this world," Yennefer informed.

"Your father will need his rest, you two. Im sorry I scared you two. I... I know I'm not as perfect as I look, and I am a monster, but it doesn't mean I don't love you two, okay?" Lillian asked as she touched both of their faces with her hands.

"What are you, and don't lie to us; please, we deserve that much," Yennefer begged.

"My sweet, beautiful girl, I wish I could, but that will only hurt you. Even knowledge of what I am will put your lives on the line," she explained.

"Then why have us here? Why take us in if you are so dangerous?! It doesn't make any sense!" Yennefer snapped.

"Yennefer, this is one of her memories; to her, we might be small children," Jaskier informed.

"Because I lost my family... my parents died protecting my brothers and me. There were seven of us, but I had the most substantial gift. Two of my older brothers died alongside some witchers and witches and wizards that knew of our existence. Once the war was over, everyone was dead. My older brothers and I cared for the younger ones, and we ensured never to use our powers unless necessary.

I am old and will outlive your father; I will outlive your children, and maybe even their children. I have no idea actually how long I have to live... I told myself never to love anything like humans or elves, dwarfs, nothing but my family. But when I met your father, I fell in love with him. Your father stole my heart as soon as he looked at me. I never thought he would love me because of my life span or my powers, but he did. I told him everything once we got married. I thought about how greedy I was, and I didn't want to be greedy anymore with my heart. So I started taking in children whose parents didn't love them. I wish I had done so, even though I knew seeing them grow old and die would kill me inside. I wanted to give all of you something that I know now that if it weren't for your father, I would have died heartless.

I wanted you to have children of your own; I wanted to make sure you were safe and loved. I wanted to ensure that no matter what happened, you had someone there for you. Anatol is the only person that I think I could ever give my heart to, and I know when he dies, at least I will still remember how much he loved me and all of you. Both of us can't have children, and bad people can sometimes, even though they push hate on their children. I just wanted to ensure no child had to suffer from a parent's poor choice. I'm sorry really that I hid my past from you and my elder language from you, but I wanted to keep you safe.

People don't understand and attack everything differently from how they believe, think, or even look, which isn't fair. My parents were good people and healed humans, but they turned and deemed them evil for creating such foul creatures. We were just gifted with powers, nothing more.

When my family first saw Anatol, you should have seen their faces. Six-foot-eight giant who was covered in scars and looked like a murderer than a decent person than me. So small and fragile looking, it was an odd match. People were constantly warning me that he was going to kill me, but I always ignored it. My family was worried, but he was kind and gentle with me always and never raised his voice at me unless we were arguing over something stupid," she said with a weak smile.

"If you lost Anatol, could you find someone else?" Yennefer asked softly.

"I don't think so, but I know he would want me to. I might have to put a curse on me to forget my loss to do it, though," Lillian said with a soft smile.