Eight - Leo

I glance at the time on my phone. Again. It's like my eyes have had a mind of their own ever since I rolled out of bed. The station was on the slow side overnight, and I managed to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. We're not usually that lucky. On average, an emergency call comes in about every 90-minutes—all day, every day. Last night was a treat.

"Deangelo and I are gonna shoot hoops later. You game?" Jabari asks as he sidles up next to me in the locker room. We've already hit the gym, and then the showers, and now we're just killing time until the next shift arrives.

I hang my towel on the hook and close the locker door. "No thanks. I'm going to the beach."

He gives me a funny look. "What are you, a tourist?"

I smile. "I'm taking Val's fiance and Sonny. I think she's nervous about driving him by herself."

"Any news this morning?"

I shake my head. "His condition is stable, but he's still unconscious."

Jabari lets out a low whistle. "His mama's gonna give him an earful when he wakes up!"

"When he wakes up? Aunt Marisol has already started! When I stopped by the hospital yesterday, she was lecturing him about looking both ways before he crosses the street."

"I don't doubt it," he says with a laugh. "That's what I love about your family. There's never a wrong time to say what's on their mind."

Jabari shoots me a grin and heads out the door. I'm not far behind. Before our replacements can even get comfortable, I'm in my pick-up, pulling up my last text to Molly.

Leo: You awake?

Three tiny dots appear on the screen, indicating she's typing a response.

Molly: I'm awake. Did you have a good shift?

I smile.

Leo: I did. What about you? Is Sonny behaving?

The dots jump again.

Molly: Define behaving

Uh oh. That's not the answer I was hoping for.

Leo: Can I call you?

Molly: Sure

As soon as she picks up, I forgo the pleasantries. "What happened?"

Molly sniffles on the other end of the phone. "I'm a bad dog-sitter, that's what."

Her voice is so pitiful, a knot tightens in my chest. "I'm sure that's not true."

"It is! I've barely had him for twenty-four hours and he already hates me."

I frown. I've known Sonny since he was eight weeks old. He doesn't hate anyone. In fact, he loves people a little more than he should. It's not like they're strangers. Molly must know he doesn't have a bitter bone in his body. "Why do you think he hates you?"

She sniffles again. "Because when I was in the shower yesterday, he figured out how to open the closet door. He tore open a bag of potting soil and drug it all around the house, then he chewed up one of my work boots, and made a meal out of a brand new raincoat."

"Ouch. I'm sorry."

But she's not finished. "And then at three o'clock this morning, he pulled the comforter off my bed. I thought maybe he had to go outside, but he just yanked me around the backyard for half an hour, and then rolled around in his vomit from earlier in the day when he finished off that bag of duck jerky. I did my best to give him a bath and then go back to sleep, but he stole the comforter again. I had to pry it out of his mouth six times! Finally, I just gave up." She sighs. "I don't think he slept at all."

I press my lips together. "He finished the bag of jerky already? You do know he's only supposed to have one or two a day, don't you?"

Molly huffs in my ear. "Great. Now you tell me."

I press the mute button so she can't hear me laugh. When I'm better composed, I try again. "I don't think Sonny hates you. He's just being a dog."

"A dog who hates me!" she wails into the phone. "I need another shower, but I'm afraid to leave him alone. Lord only knows what he'll get into next!"

"Tell you what. When I get there, you can take your time getting cleaned up and I'll watch Sonny. How does that sound?"

Molly's quiet for a moment. "That sounds nice, thank you."

"Have you eaten yet?"

"No."

I remember her admitting she's not the greatest cook. "Then, I'm bringing over breakfast too, and I won't take no for an answer. Is there anything you don't like?"

She takes a shaky breath. "I'll eat whatever you put in front of me."

A woman who likes to eat. She really is a catch. "I'm leaving the fire house now. I can be there in about half an hour," I tell her. "Will you be okay until then?"

The phone shuffles, and then, "I'll be okay. Thank you for coming to my rescue, Leo. I owe you one."

"Hey, that's what firefighters do. No favors necessary." I grin. "Would you like a coffee with that?"

"Breakfast and coffee?" There's a smile in her voice. "You're spoiling me, you know that? I'm not used to this kind of treatment."

I hope that's not true. If Val is taking Molly for granted, he's a damn fool and doesn't deserve her.

I attempt to laugh it off, but the sound falls flat in my ears. "How do you take it?"

"I'm not picky, I swear. You're already going above and beyond future cousinly-duties."

Future cousinly-duties. That's right. Nothing more, nothing less. "It's no problem. Really. I'm happy to help."

"Well, I appreciate it," she says like she's suddenly shy. "I'll see you when you get here."

As we say goodbye, something familiar swirls in the pit of my stomach. It's been awhile since I've felt it, but I recognize the sensation. I've experienced it before. The last time was when I was getting to know Jessica.

Shame warms my face.

What's wrong with me? My cousin is in the hospital and here I am, hanging out with his fiance. How would Val feel if he knew? Would he understand I'm just trying to help, or would he think something else...?

But I can't leave Molly high and dry. It's obvious she needs assistance with Sonny. Isn't it my duty to watch out for them? We're family, after all. When Val wakes up, he'll appreciate my efforts.

I just won't tell him how much I enjoyed the responsibility.

12,251 words in total.