₀₀₆

𝘞𝘙𝘌𝘕 𝘑𝘈𝘔𝘌𝘚

"Is he hot?"

I stare at Lex. Lex stares at me.

"What are you talking about?" I had just finalized telling Lex about the project I have to work on for the office and she's offering no support.

"C'mon Wren, it's okay to have a little crush, everyone does." But not me.

"If you are implying that I might have a crush on my boss, Mr. Martin, then you're wrong. Dead wrong Lex." I down my soda and force myself to live with the sting of the bubbles traveling down my throat.

"Oh my God! No. Not him! Your colleague," She wiggles her eyebrows in a suggestive way. "you've mentioned him once or twice before but you never describe him." Her eyes are wide as she sits crisscross on my couch, then rests her elbows on her knees; leaning in and narrowing her eyes. "So describe."

I roll my eyes. I'm not wasting my breath describing a condescending idiot.

When I get up to refill my drink, Lex grabs my wrist and all but bodyslams me back onto the couch. I huff, realizing I have no choice but to tell her.

Lex isn't the easiest person to ignore. For one, she's effortlessly beautiful. Her mother and father were models in the nineties-and usually attractive people make ugly kids-but not Lex's parents. She's nicely stubborn, like she's not mean but she's scary if she doesn't get her way. Lex turned out amazing. Inside and out.

I still remember the first time we'd met.

"Why do you look like you've just attended a funeral." A girl with blonde curly hair asked, her big eyes taking in my outfit.

A random sweater vest and the same pants i've been wearing all week. Some people think that i look like a nerd, but i don't think so.

"Why do you look like a unicorn just shit on you." I got in trouble with the teacher yesterday for using 'bad words', but i don't give a shit.

"Touché." Barbie says.

I don't know her name but she looks like a Barbie doll, just younger. We're in kindergarten.

"I'm Alex Anderson." She doesn't look like an Alex. There's a boy in my class with that name and he's mean.

"I'll call you Lex."

Lex thinks about it before nodding. "What can i call you?"

"Wren."

And we've been best friends ever since. Barbie and Dracula. Yes, she forced me to dress up like that for Halloween that year. Yes, i did it.

"So?" Lex eagerly taps her chin.

I sigh. "His name is Rhys Moore-"

"Dreamy." She smiles at my scowl.

"He's tall. But like in a freaky way, six-two, three maybe?" I can't believe i'm talking this man up. "Dark messy hair, grey eyes? But possible just pale blue-"