₀₂₄

𝘞𝘙𝘌𝘕 𝘑𝘈𝘔𝘌𝘚

FOUR DAYS AFTER THE WORK TRIP Fernando finally congratulated us on the good news about more companies considering partnering with us. He also said that he bought a copy of the magazine. It seems like everyone in the office has.

I mean picture how weird it is to see yourself-topless-smooshed against your shirtless coworker on top of the receptionist desk. Because that is what Gloria did. She framed it. And it's sitting on her desk. Even Maxine offered me a smile when she saw it.

So i've locked myself in my office.

Rhys isn't here yet, but if he was-i'd probably lock him out too. I take a long sip of my coffee and close my eyes, but then the mental image of Rhys's hand on my waist enters my mind and my eyes fly open.

I ditch the coffee and get right to work. I've been so busy with the project that i've been drowning in my regular work. And between my mom and the magazine, i've had no time to just stop.

A feel that only came out once makes it way back into my chest. I'm burnt out.

Dread fills my entire body as I try to shoo the awful thought out of my mind. I'm not burnt out, i'm just tired, but i'm always tired. Everything's fine. I'm fine.

My phone rings and look down at the caller ID. It's the hospital.

"Hello."

"Hello Miss Wren. This is The New York Hospital. We're calling about your mother, Margo Perry." She says it like I have more than one mother.

"We've found blood clots in her lungs. We're afraid she isn't going to make it through the night. She's also experiencing..." My ears start ringing and I can't follow anything else.

My mother wasn't going to make it through the night. And i'm sitting here. Working. Reality of what I just said slams into me. Yes, I am sitting here, and i'm not at the hospital because she wouldn't do it for me. But now she might. A stupid voice says in my mind.

I love you because i'm your mother and mother's love their daughters.

"I'm heading there now." I cut off the lady on the phone and hang up.

My mind doesn't catch up to my feet until i'm in the elevator. My body is on cruise control as my mind is on overload. I haven't had anything to eat and people in the hallway are looking at me like they have been all day. They are staring at me like they've seen me naked-oh wait they have. I just need a break, I need to-

"Are you alright?" A voice asks me gruffly. When I don't respond, a hand is placed on my shoulder and I look up.

Messy hair, cloudy eyes, strong features, masculine jawline. Dress shirt-slightly wrinkled-dress pants perfectly tailored. Rhys.

"Miss James?" He asks.

"Fine. I'm fine." I nod and try to walk around him.

A presence makes it's way beside me. I ignore it and walk straight outside into the cool New York City air. I don't know what I planned to do, but I didn't bring my car.

A hand catches my wrist. I whirl back and meet Rhys's hard expression. He rubs his thumb over my pulse and I pull my arm back.