₀₂₇

𝘞𝘙𝘌𝘕 𝘑𝘈𝘔𝘌𝘚

FERNANDO MARTIN IS MANY THINGS. Entertaining is not one of them. He's so boring, and he tries so hard to be so interesting it's pathetic.

"...like I said before that mob wouldn't stop charging at us. It was like they were all infested with rabies. Crazy shit." He slurps his coffee. I don't know what he's talking about.

I came it his office after i'd caught up on all my work, so it's around eight-ish. The city is just getting dark, but the sky's still slightly blue.

The office door opens and Rhys walks in. I remain faced forward as he takes his seat next to me. I can see him fix his suit jacket-rare-as he leans back in the chair.

"Ah. Rhys. I was telling Wren about the wildlife tour I went on in the Sahara desert." Hadn't he said it was the Arabian? "You remember that story right?" Rhys says nothing. "Oh. Well anyways, the presentation is coming up and I have no doubt that we'll get the 'green light.'" He claps his hands.

"I just wanted to say that I got some great feedback about your presentation on the trip." He smiles. "Also I just wanted to talk about what exactly will be said at the presentation next week. What were you both thinking? The main things."

As both Rhys and myself explain the rundown of our speech, Fernando nods and sucks his teeth. We do a small demo presentation and Fernando gives us the 'all good'.

I pick up my things as does Rhys, and we make our way to the door-before we're stopped by Fernando.

"Why don't you kids join us for drinks at Santiago's, the small pub across town." He places a hand on Rhys's shoulder.

"'Us'?" I question.

"Yes. Myself and the team of editors and lawyers who are my good friends. It doesn't have anything to do with the presentation, so it's not messing with the end result." Seemingly unconvinced that he convinced us, he continues. "Consider it a early celebration for your success."

Rhys's eyes drop down onto my face, so I look up to catch his eye. He slightly tilts his head; silently asking. I shrug slightly. I won't be drinking, but it'll get me out of the office.

"Sure. We'll join you." Rhys moves away from Fernando's grip and closer to me.

"Alright, see you in a bit, i'm heading there now." Fernando leaves his office before us.

__________

I sip my lemon water as I watch people dance around the dance floor. Santiago's is a small hole-in-the-wall bar. It's dim, not the ordinary dark and color flashing bars that i've been to. Instead it has pool tables and dart boards around the place, the orange lights only in the corners of the room.

The stools are comfortable enough. The water is good. I can't really complain. It's also just a bit dead, which makes for a chill night. Plus Rhys is sipping straight alcohol on the side of me so, that's a bonus.

I turn my head at the noise of clapping and cheering. Fernando's just lost for the third time at a game of poker. He's shit at gambling.

A light tap on my shoulder brings my attention behind me and to the bartender. This time its not the woman that was there before, it's a man. He's tall with large tattoos crawling up his neck, a shaggy head of platinum hair and piercings all over his face. One on his eyebrow, three in his nose, and one on his lip.