FIFTEEN - RAINY DAYS

"What is it?"

The room was silent when Frances took Charlie upstairs for a bath after they'd eaten dinner. Thomas had joined them that evening which, over the past week, had become a regular occurrence.

"What's what?" Blair asked, pushing her plate away from her and setting down her glass of wine in its place. Drinking had become more of a regular occurrence in the past week, too.

"You haven't looked me in the eye once since I walked into the room. What's wrong?"

He was right. Blair hadn't been able to bring herself to look at Thomas the whole day. After hearing what Frances had told her that morning, she had done her best to avoid him around the house once he returned home from work, though it became harder when he sat down opposite her at the dinner table that night.

She sighed, swirling the wine around in the bottom of her glass, her other hand sat neatly in her lap, resting on her thigh. She'd debated bringing up Lizzie Stark all day, remembering the day her name had been mentioned when Blair accompanied Thomas to an event last minute.

She'd stayed curious about the woman, naturally, though over time, Blair's mind had become more than occupied with other things to spare a thought about a woman who's name she'd heard once.

"Nothing."

Thomas scoffed, "Don't be like that. I can see right through you, what's wrong? Is it because of last night?"

She shook her head, her eyes fixed on the bouquet of flowers on the table, still fresh and blooming beautifully.

"Then what? What is it, Blair?"

Blair sighed loudly before forcing herself to look up at him for the first time that day. She almost forgot to breathe, feeling breathless at how handsome she thought he looked. His blazer was a navy blue and he wore a matching tie. His hair had been pushed back that morning, though the force of the day had taken a toll, a few strands falling loose across his forehead.

"Who is Lizzie Stark?"

Thomas didn't speak, nor did he move. He stayed perfectly still, his lips sealed and his eyes frozen on Blair, his hand clasped around a stein filled with ale, as if he were in a portrait hung on the wall.

"How do you know her name?"

"You didn't answer my question."

He kissed his teeth, drawing in a sharp breath, looking up at the ceiling for a brief moment before looking back at Blair.

"She's a woman I was seeing, before you started living here. Once I saw your face I..."

He paused, looking down at his drink, his other hand in the air, posing a question as he pursed his lips, his chest rising and falling heavily.

"I knew I couldn't see her again. Because how could it be fair of me to live with the woman I love and see someone else?"

Blair felt furious. The blank expression on his face told her that he had no idea about the hurt his words had caused her, that he thought his heartfelt speech was nothing but fairytale romance, love at first sight, when in reality, it was sickening.

She rose to her feet and quickly walked out of the room, ignoring the calls of her name from Tommy that soon faded into nothing as she ascended the stairs, her feet light as she ended up running down the hallway to her room, slamming the door closed behind her and sliding a lock across it.

Blair was shocked. She couldn't comprehend why Thomas would boast to her about doing the same thing to another woman that he'd done to her, as if it would make her fall at his feet.