What Was I Made For?

TW: s*xual harassment

Lucy sat in that drawing room for what felt like an age, alone, until one of her friends finally arrived. Daphne, to be more exact. When she walked into the room, an air of aristocratic elegance followed her- she had changed since she got married, and not in a bad way. she seemed more mature and at peace, and happy. Lucy remembered Daphne talking about the Duke- Simon- while they were courting. She told her everything right from the very beginning- about how it was all some fake relationship or something. Truly though, Lucy didn't understand what she was talking about the entire time, because everyone with eyes knew they both held a flame for one another. When they finally got married it came as no surprise to those closest to her. Lucy longed for a relationship like theirs- unapologetically in love and not afraid to show everyone. It was clear they understood each other extremely well even early on in their marriage, and in the year since Lucy had seen either of them together, she knew without question that their relationship had only strengthened.

"Lucy, how wonderful to see you again so soon," The duchess said.

"Your Grace, I simply could not stay away" Lucy joked as she stood up to greet her friend. Daphne giggled and the two of them embraced. They sat down again, opposite each other, and began drinking some tea and diving into the nibbles the butler had brought in earlier.

"So, tell me- are you excited for your debut?" Daphne asked.

"Oh yes, I didn't think I would be this excited but I truly am. I think waiting before being presented to society was a good choice- I'm more aware of what I want now than when I was one and seven," Lucy responded, sipping her tea.

"I agree, a late start isn't such a bad thing," Daphne began.

"But you do still need to be careful. Don't settle for the first person that comes your way," She added.

"I wouldn't dream of it. I know that I want someone who will let me be the person I want to be and still do the things that I love doing- writing, for instance. I know it is not respectable, but I would be thrilled at the prospect of publishing- even under a pseudonym," Lucy explained. Daphne smirked slightly, a glint of benedict on her face. It startled here for a moment, before she remembered they were siblings. She thought for a few seconds before she responded, and took a sip of her tea.

"You wouldn't happen to be Lady Whistledown, would you? I know you've been away for a while, but someone like her would no doubt have an expansive range of contacts," Daphne said, quirking an eyebrow. She was only teasing her, they both knew it, so Lucy played into it by acting mortified.

"Oh, Daphne- how preposterous! I would never dream of engaging in something so scandalous," She answered.

"Ah, I didn't think so. Have you seen today's issue, by the way? it's about you." Daphne replied.

"Me?"

"Yes, you. Here you go," Daphne replied, then stood up from her seat. She walked over to a table on the other end of the room and picked up a dainty piece of paper with floral patterns faintly imprinted onto it. Walking back across the room in a regal manner, she handed the paper to Lucy, who held it up close to her face to inspect it.

Lady Whistledown's

Society Papers

Dearest Readers,

With the social season approaching in full swing, many esteemed members of The Ton have begun making their returns to London from their countryside Manors. With less than two weeks left, the city is expected to once again host ball after ball to welcome the spring, and my dearest and most loyal readers know what comes with that- scandal. In addition to the new season comes a whole new group of ladies, belonging to these well-established families, who will be making their first debuts. They will be presented at court to Her Majesty Queen Charlotte, and attend their first ball as debutante's. Each and every young lady yearns to be crowned Diamond of the First Water at the behest of our beloved Queen, and this author believes there is one suitable candidate who is already expected to shine. It has been brought forth to my attention that the Duke of Suffolk George Blackthorne, as well as the rest of his family, made their return to The Ton only yesterday. Lady Lucy Blackthorne, the Duke's eldest daughter, is the most eligible woman being presented at court this season. Although she has undoubtedly had a slightly later start than most, stories of her beauty, intelligence, and wit make this author think that she will have no issue finding her match. The Lady's sister, Lady Eleanor Blackthorne, will also be making her debut. Lady Eleanor is said to be as exquisite a beauty as her sister, so I must confess that the gentlemen of the season have struck gold. However, the gentlemen of the ton are not the only ones who are in luck- Henry Blackthorne, the Duke's only son, will also be participating in his fourth season, much to the delight of ladies and their mamas all across The Ton. Perhaps this season will be the one where he finds his future Duchess.