The Tide Turning

Trigger warnings: mentions of domestic abuse, emetophobia,

The next morning Henry joined the Bridgerton family to break their fasts. He shuffled down the stairs, still looking as disheveled as he did last night but a bit more rested. Everyone was confused by his presence, unaware that he was invited to stay the night, but he was welcomed by the group regardless. After devouring plates of food and sipping their orange juice, Lucy and Henry made their way into the garden to catch up. They walked along the path, surrounded by the sweet floral scent, a feature of springtime that she loved immensely.

"I hope you are doing well, brother," Lucy spoke. Henry looked up at the sky, squinting his eyes as the sun beat down on them.

"As well as one can be, I suppose," he responded neutrally.

"You mentioned that you had a lot to catch me up on last night," she prodded. He chuckled quietly, and Lucy nudged him on the shoulder.

"Yes, yes, I do. Do you want the bad stuff first or the good stuff?" he asked, relenting. Lucy thought for a moment.

"Bad stuff. Then we can cheer ourselves up with the good stuff," she said definitively. He took a deep breath, bracing himself.

"Father has been completely deranged since you got married. Even worse than before – his beatings have only gotten worse," he whispered the last part, looking down. He untucked his shirt and lifted it, allowing Lucy to see the constellation of bruises left along his ribcage and stomach, leaving her aghast.

"I suppose I should be thankful he aims for anywhere except the face. It saves me a lot of scandal and having to come up with excuses every time someone asks what happened," He added. Lucy shook her head, distraught and angry. Yes, their father had a habit of taking his anger out on Henry now and then, but it had never been this bad. If this was what had transpired over the past few weeks, she shuddered to think what would happen a few months from now.

"You cannot stay there any longer, Henry. You must remain here, or go to your bachelor lodgings – or go back to Wyndall House, for god's sake!" she blasphemed. Henry just sighed.

"You are a free man. Both of your sisters are now married, you are not responsible for us any longer. You don't need to be here anymore," Lucy added, nudging him again. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye briefly and cleared his throat.

"Well, that brings me to the good stuff, actually. I cannot leave until the season is over," he grinned vaguely. Lucy gave him a confused look. When she didn't catch on to his meaning immediately, he explained further.

"I met someone, Lucy,"

A shrill shriek erupted from her very core, and she began bouncing up and down in a very unladylike manner.

"Oh, that is simply wonderful! Please, tell me everything," Lucy begged, squeezing his forearm.

"Her name is Beatrice St. John. Her father is a baron and she is the most incredible person I have ever met," he began and Lucy simply smiled silently, urging him to continue.

"She is the fieriest redhead in the world – quick-witted, intelligent, funny, not shy either. Not to mention I have never met someone quite as beautiful as she," He finished, his cheeks turning a pink color. Lucy couldn't help but giggle – she had never seen a man blush, not to mention her brother.

"Do you plan on proposing any time soon?" Lucy teased.

"I have the ring – I had it made after the first time I kissed her," he replied joyously, to Lucy's horror. He had never been this upfront with her about his antics, and she definitely did not want him to start being so open.