27. New Memories

Maddox:

"You hungry, Angel?" I ask as I play with my Rose's hair. I can't fucking stop touching her. A part of me is still afraid if I'm not physically in contact with her she'll run away again. I think I'm fucking traumatized.

She lifts her head off my chest and looks at me with wide eyes. "Oh, shit. We never had the cake! Oh, your mother's birthday is all ruined."

"One more word and I'm spanking you." I warn her. "I'm fucking serious, baby."

She blushes adorably, biting down on her lip. "Can we get her some flowers or something? As an apology?"

"They're the ones who want to apologize to you, Angel. They feel awful." I tilt my head toward the door and she gasps.

"They're here?" She looks scared and my heart feels too heavy again.

I carefully nod. "Sofia and Peter stayed behind with the kids, but the rest are outside. They won't come in unless you want them to. I promise I will never let anyone scare you again, not even my family, Rose."

Her eyes turn sad and she pouts. "I shouldn't have been so scared to begin with. They were perfectly polite all day. They didn't do anything wrong. I was just too stressed and nervous."

"It's alright, my angel." I drop a soft kiss on her forehead, my arms refusing to loosen their hold around her. She's finally fucking okay, and I need to make sure my heart gets that. I feel like I can't stop breathing in her scent, that I'd do anything to keep her talking to me. Because I need to believe that she's okay and mine again. That I didn't lose her because of my stupidity.

"They can come in if my parents do too. I'll feel better with Mama and Eddie around. And you, of course." She says and my heart swims in pride again. No matter what happens to my angel, she always stands back up, taller and stronger the before. I fucking idolize this woman.

"You don't have to do that." I shake my head though, because I can't be too sure, and I've learnt that hard way. "No one will be offended, Rose."

"I want to apologize to everyone." She insists and a wave of anger washes over me.

I clench my jaw. "I told you have nothing to fucking apologize for. You did nothing wrong, Rose. Nothing."

"Okay, alright. Calm down." She shoves her face in my neck again, successfully calming me. "I still want them to come in, though."

"No." I state and she looks at me again.

"No?" She tilts her head to the side.

"No, Rose." Last time I wasn't careful we ended up here. Last time I knew she was nervous but let her do what she thought was right ended with her collapsing in my arms. And I'll be fucking damned if I let her go through that again.

I don't know why my angel suddenly blushes but when she gulps with wide eyes and licks her lips after, I have to ask. "What?"

"N-nothing." She clears her throat with a cute frown.

"Tell me, baby. What was that about?" I tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"You're r-really sexy when you're..." she clears her throat, her blush ten times more red. "...stern like that."

Fucking hell, my baby just got turned on.

I groan, letting my head fall back. "Fuck me."

She giggles, shoving her face in my neck once again. "Sorry."

"You like it when I'm a little dominant, my angel?"

She squirms, snuggling into me further and I have my answer.