17

After Michael regained control over his body, he descended back to Saintess' room, he wanted to protect Saintess' body before her burial. But he didn't find her at all. Saintess' body disappeared after his ascension as the new Saint. All that was left was her holy book.

Michael stood in silence, he clenched his holy staff.

He knew that Saintess' death was fated, everything had been fated by God.

But it created a big hole in his heart. He had sworn to his life that he would protect the Saintess at all cost, but in the end, he couldn't protect her from her own fate. Michael felt that it was unfair, because Saintess was only thirty until her death. She could've lived a long life. But she was God's dearest, he took her to heaven because she was too good for this world.

Everyone gathered near the Saintess' room to meet the new saint. Michael saw his holy knight, the missionarist, even the regular peasants gathered around the church to worship him. Michael always thought that Saintess didn't like to go outside because of her poor health.

But when all people gathered in front of him, they chanted his name, "Give us your blessing, Saint Michael! Please give us your blessing!"

Michael saw every person had a dark aura around them. Their face distorted in front of his eyes, and slowly, Michael could see the shadow of each person lingered on top of their heads, blatantly spouting their real sins.

'I've raped a woman when I was drunk!'

'I beat my wife until her legs went limp!'

'I spread gossip about my brother, because I'm jealous!'

'I like to torture animals because they look pitiful!'

Those twisted shadows confessed everything to him, he saw his holy knights, even the holy knights were full of sins. Michael finally understood what the Saintess' felt.

The shadows became louder and louder. The sins of all these people made him angry in heart. They looked clean from outside, but their sins were horrible. Michael's expression turned darker and darker, the holy staff in his hand trembled. The confessions disgusted him, truly.

It was only an hour since he became the new Saint, and Michael already wanted to kill everyone around him.

'They never repent, they never admit, they never regret,' Michael thought. The holy staff started gathering light, 'What is the point of letting them live if they will keep making more sin? I can... kill them all and stop those sins from talking, they are truly disgusting...'

The holy staff gathered enough light that shone through the whole church, the people who gathered inside the church were happy, because they thought that they would be blessed. Little did they know, the light from the holy staff would soon burn everyone inside this church.

Michael raised his holy staff, he was about to smite everyone inside this church. He closed his eyes, unable to bear seeing anymore twisted faces around him, until he heard a familiar voice calling his name desperately.

"Michael! Don't!"

Michael opened his eyes immediately. He looked at someone far from his position, he looked at him with worry in his eyes, he called his name again, "Michael! Don't release the light!"

"Duke...?" Michael couldn't believe his eyes. The Duke, who was obviously a vampire that couldn't withstand the holy aura of a saint, came to the church to stop him. He saw the Duke was in pain and his pale face turned reddish, even though the Duke was far away from his position.

Michael lowered his staff and the light from the staff gradually disappeared.

Everyone looked disappointed, they turned their heads towards Duke Damien who suddenly barged in, they glared in unison.