T H I R T Y E I G H T

As I stepped outside, I noticed my ex-boyfriend standing in front of me, smiling as if he had won the lottery

As I stepped outside, I noticed my ex-boyfriend standing in front of me, smiling as if he had won the lottery. As I continued to stare at him, so many thoughts began to race through my mind. First and foremost, how did he know where I lived? Second, why is he even present? I'm sure he realizes he's not welcome here.

As I snapped out of my reverie, I looked back at Manny, who had a confused but angry expression on his face. I hope he understands that I did not bring this boy here on purpose. When I turned back to look at Nau'Jour, I noticed that he, too, was perplexed.

Nau'Jour continues to stare at me, perplexed. "Can I come inside yo crib or what? It's hotter than the devil's mansion out this bitch."

Manny pushed me aside and walked up to Nau'Jour, sizing him up as if he were about to fight him. "I have no idea who the fuck is, and I couldn't care less if I did, but you're not coming in here. You should probably turn around and go back the way you came."

Nau'Jour locked his gaze on Manny and burst out laughing. "Who the fuck does this nigga think he is, man? Is this supposed to be your nigga, Angel? I assumed you were dating a dark-skinned nigga, not a Mexican. Oh, so you got multiple niggas now?"

Manny clenched his fist and was about to punch Nau'Jour in the face, but I jumped in between them and stopped him. With an irritated expression on my face, I looked at Nau'Jour. He's only been here for a few seconds and he's already causing havoc. I hope he realizes that when he leaves, Manny is going to be all over me because of this shit.

I sighed deeply. "Can you please explain why you're here, and how the hell you know where I live, Nau'Jour?"

He simply shrugged. "I'm here because your birthday is approaching and I'd like to surprise you with gifts. I got the address from your mother. She didn't inform me that you had a nigga in here. I'm surprised you forgot about me so quickly. You used to be crazy about me."

Manny's skin was getting hot as I was holding him back from attacking Nau'Jour, which meant he was getting ready to fuck Nau'Jour up. My mother should have known better than to give Nau'Jour my address without my permission, so I shook my head. That is completely inappropriate and disrespectful of her.

I understand she loves Nau'Jour like a son, but she needs to let go of that relationship because me and him will never be together again. My mother should have known that drama would ensue with Nau'Jour and Manny.

I palmed my face. "Listen, I'm not sure why you thought it was a good idea to show up at someone's house without first informing them. I appreciate your efforts to be nice for my birthday, but I'd prefer if you just take the gifts and leave. It's not a good time right now."

Nau'Jour had a stunned expression on his face when he looked at me. "How come a nigga can't just come inside and get something to drink?"

Manny directed his finger towards the garden. "Over there, there's a water hole. Take a fucking sip and dip."