saviors of the night

I giggled. "Sit still, Jaycey."

He laughed, keeping his head turned. He was sitting on a wooden chair, modeling for me as I was attempting to draw him. "Are you almost done, my dear Fae?"

I shushed him, my tongue hanging out the side of my mouth in concentration.

Moving to his hair, I began to shade it in on my drawing, giggling to myself. I was proud of myself. It looked amazing.

"Done!" I squealed.

He let out a breath, his body slouching. "Great. I can move now," he strained while stretching.

"Are you ready?" I cheesed.

He chuckled. "Yes, Fae. I'm ready."

Taking a breath, I lifted the picture out towards him with my tiny arms, giving him a toothy grin.

His jaw dropped in awe, his eyes wide. "Woooow. It's so...I'm so...," he let out a laugh, clearing his throat. "It's...so...unique."

"Yeah?" I asked nervously.

"Yeah," he agreed, his voice getting higher. "You're my little artist. It's so good, that I am going to hang it up."

"You really like it?"

He smiled at me. "Love it."

***

My eyes slowly opened to see sunlight dancing on the ceiling. I tried to quickly sit up, only to wince in pain and fall back down on the bed.

Wait? Bed? Where was I?

I frantically looked around the small room. Clutching my bandaged torso, I slowly sat up, making sure to keep my movements slow, the bed creaking softly. Placing my shaky feet on the ground, I exhaled loudly. Soft socks covered my feet, keeping them warm. I was wearing brown baggy pants, and an olive green top. The sleeves were off shoulder, long and baggy.

Holding my torso tightly, I stood up from the bed and walked closely to the door. I could hear voices coming from the other side. Pressing my ear against it, I tried to listen to what was happening.

There was movement and what sounded like chopping.

"Whatever, Sorin," scoffed a male voice. There was then the sound of a slamming door.

"What?" asked a deeper voice. "He did not have to behead them, Azriel." My stomach jumped at the voice. My heart thumping. My hands turned clammy. Why was I reacting this way? "It was overkill. They were already down."

"Sorin. You remember how you were when you were younger. You were blinded by anger and blood fueled you. The difference between you and Ren is that he lacks discipline and control." Silence. Then there was a sigh. "Go check on him, please. And while you are out there, feed the girls' horse."

There were footsteps, and then the sound of a closing door. I slowly opened the bedroom door, wincing as it creaked. The room I entered was also small. A large, wooden table sat in the middle of it, taking up most of the room. A large man stood with his back towards me. He had dark brown skin and no hair, but golden markings went down the base of his neck, disappearing into his clothing.

He was making something over a small flame. I couldn't tell if he knew I was here or not, but I didn't care. My eyes scanned the room, stopping at a large knife that sat on the table. With my free hand, I grabbed it and held it up.

"Hope that make you feel safer," he said. I froze, praying he wouldn't hurt me. Turning around, he gave me a kind smile, his dark, green eyes connecting with mine. "I'm Azriel," he greeted. "And you are?"